Autorig error on building

2540   7   1
4 posts
Hi,

When I hit the ‘Create/Modify/MatchRig’ button in the autorig I get errors in the Houdini console and it seems the whole rig recreation process fails. I've attached a screen grab of the console errors.

I'm using 15.5.632 Indie on windows 8.1

Feels like a bug, anybody have any work around for this issue?

Thanks for reading,

Dan

Attachments:
Capture.JPG (141.9 KB)

806 posts
Moin,

I just ran through a quick auto-rig test in H15-607 and got no error.
However, if I do not follow the documentation - i.e. set up the character's otls directory correctly - I do get an error like the one you displayed.

Have you made sure you followed the docs?

Marc
---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
https://www.marc-albrecht.de [www.marc-albrecht.de]
Staff
3455 posts
it should be noted that the current AutoRigs are deprecated.
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
4 posts
Hi,

Thanks for the replies, I was following a video tutorial about the auto rigs but I'll check the docs as I've not set up any otl directory.

I'm just starting with houdini so don't even know what an otl is!

Cheers,
Dan
4 posts
I had read that the autorig was deprecated but thought it still might be the quickest way to get a character rigged in Houdini. I was lucky enough to see a demo of the new character autorig stuff so can't wait for that to be released!
806 posts
Hi, Dan,

thanks for the feedback - the problem with rigging/animation tutorials for Houdini is, that most of them are quite dated. I am working on a full course on that topic, but it will take me at least another couple of months to understand Houdini well enough (I, too, have only recently started) …

OTL is an “operator type library” - Houdini is very “file system affine”, so it will quite often want to store (temporary or final) data to disk. That OTL you need to set up for the autorig is one example of that.

Marc
---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
https://www.marc-albrecht.de [www.marc-albrecht.de]
Staff
3455 posts
DanLane
I had read that the autorig was deprecated but thought it still might be the quickest way to get a character rigged in Houdini. I was lucky enough to see a demo of the new character autorig stuff so can't wait for that to be released!

hi Dan
where did you see a demo of the tools? was it me?

the current auto rig tools will actually work just fine in Houdini 14 and maybe 15 but some things changed in 15.5 than make it a bit buggy, so you could try that. However the rig that you get will not be one that I would recommend using or trying to learn from. If you're just getting started with rigging in Houdini I'd say the easiest way would be to take the simplefemale (from the Characters shelf) and RMB > Allow Editing of Contents. now you can dive in and see how her rig was made etc.

and feel free to ask any questions you have about rigging, I'll be happy to answer as best I can.
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
4 posts
Hi Michael,

I saw the new Autorig demo at Lola post in London.
Thanks for the simplefemale tip, I'll take a look at how that was setup. I've actually bitten the bullet and created my own rig from scratch, it's helped a lot to get my head into Houdini so was probably for the best I didn't get the autorig working.

Thanks,
Dan
  • Quick Links