Velocity Curve in Animation Editor

2101   2   2
57 posts
This maybe simple, and I hope it is, But I've googled like crazy and haven't found anything, So how do you show the velocity curve in the animation editor. I guess some would call it a acceleration curve. But it shows how the speed changes over time instead of position over time. Very useful for getting that movement just right.

Thanks
Chris
2537 posts
Because velocity is an attribute and not a keyframed value you can't see it in the Animation Editor by default. You can view function based attributes inside of CHOPs, however. A simple way is to just drop down a NULL and name it something like OUT_VEL. Make sure this null exists after you have computed the velocity with a Trail or some other means. Then drop down a CHOP network and dive inside. Just like with SOPs you can use an ObjectMerge to bring in an object inside of CHOPs. In side the CHOPs network, this node is called “Geometry”, not ObjectMerge. Browse to the SOp path of your NULL you created, set the method to Animated and type the attribute ‘v’ into the Attribute Scope field.

Bring up a MotionFx view and you will see the function curve of the attribute you have scoped.
Edited by Enivob - Nov. 17, 2016 16:25:41

Attachments:
Untitled-1.jpg (113.2 KB)
ap_view_velocity_curve_in_CHOPs.hiplc (35.8 KB)
Untitled-1.jpg (26.4 KB)

Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
57 posts
Thanks so much for the explanation and the example scene! Very useful.
  • Quick Links