crashing on save and quit

4260   4   1
11 posts
Hello,

I'm using Houdini Apprentice 8.0.383 and when I click on the close button in the title bar or Quit application Houdini displays the closing dialogue. I click on Save and Quit, the PC hangs for some time then I get a console dialogue ‘3820 Fatal Error Segmentation Fault’.

I'm on XP. Any clues would be great. (Also, I can't rmember where to post bug reports)

Gurbo
Gurbo
4270 posts
Might be a problem trying to save preferences/desktops?

Try moving your $HOME/houdini8.0 directory…(so it runs with nothing but defaults) the launch houdini and try to close it.
if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
11 posts
Thanks for the reply Wolfwood,

I tried saving off my file to the $HOME/houdini8.0 directory - which worked OK but I didn't know how to reset all my preferences. It is a new install and I've been tearing off panels and saving to a different folder but not much else.

Still crashed on quit application though.
Gurbo
387 posts
I think wolfwood means you should try: quit Houdini, rename your $HOME/houdini8.0 directory (eg. name it $HOME/houdini8.0_old1) and then restart Houdini, repeat what you did and see if the problem goes away.

Another thought is that you're running out of memory, and Houdini only realises this at the moment it tries to save! Let's call this Theory-B ™. :-)

Take a look at the Houdini Textport commands: memory and sopcache.
Also:

/ -> help -k cache
compfree geocache objcache opupdate sopcache texcache viewwrite
compopts imgdispopt

These might be worth exploring. The idea is to free up cached memory before risking a fatal save. Of course, this is assuming it's a memory issue.

cheers,
ben.
''You're always doing this: reducing it to science. Why can't it be real?'' – Jackie Tyler
11 posts
Hey Ben,

Thanks for taking the time to straighten out a newb like me.
You've given me lots to tinker with.

If you think it is a memory thing perhaps I should upgrade my CPU. I'm too embarrased to say what it is.
Gurbo