Avoid FLIP Sim changing behaviour when using lower particle seperation

2291   1   2
6 posts
Hello,

I am currently doing some RnD for a sim I have to do.
I will have a complex object falling down into shallow ocean water.

For this, I built a simple scene with a platonic object falling in a shallow fliptank with a plane underneath for collision. Here is the node layout of my AutoDopNetwork, to see the setup:

This is how frame 30 (shortly after splashown) looks with 0.03 particle seperation (2.2mil particles)

It's good and fundamentally what I need. But I want quite a bit more detail, I did some testing and my rig is able to bake 40-50mil particles overnight.

And this is how frame 30 looks with 0.015 (16.5mil particles)

Not that those are both Full surface polygon visualisations.
As you can see, I get more detail but it is already splashing down way less deep into the water which results in less particles being splashed up. If I go to a more final seperation value of 0.01 the object barely even penetrates the surface, even starts to bounce.

I already read in the documentation that fluid density is based on particle seperation. That makes sense, but how do I conter this? Do I just turn up the mass of my rigid body object? That value is already at 50000 and I don't think that is the right approach.
One workaround might be to crank up whitewater emission count to mask the lowres water sim a bit more, but I am looking for a proper approach.
Edited by anon_user_31333956 - Feb. 7, 2017 10:45:13
48 posts
Hi There

If you mean you're getting less fluid at lower p.s values, yep that happens as it settles, you can increase the initial volume to compensate and or mess with reseeding.
To get more detail you can play with the droplet parameters.
Also maybe add some random velocity into your fluid.
And finally look at it thru camera, the scale of the shot is important when it comes to judging the level of detail you're achieving.

Here's a link to some Flip tests from Igor Zanic who is a genius with this stuff. https://vimeo.com/86802065 [vimeo.com]

cheers
Nigel.
  • Quick Links