Rendering on more than one computer

4139   3   2
12 posts
Hi eveyone,

I have the Houdini Indie version and I have some questions regarding rendering one more than one computer and I really hope, that someone can answer me a few questions about it. I have been only rendering about a couple of computers using vray but it seems to be different with Houdini. At least that's what I have read.

So lets assume I have two more computers, which I would like to use for network rendering a smoke simulation.

1.) My work computer is going to be my HQueue server, isn't it?

2.) On my other two computers I have to install the Houdini Engine Licenses, haven't I? As far as I am right informed, I can get up to 3 Engine Licenses. These will only help with calculating the smoke cache and not help with the rendering, won't they? Or are they still needed to support the smoke simulation during rendering, even if it is cached?

3.) I read somewhere, that for the actual rendering on the other two computers, I have to install the Mantra Node. Is this right and if yes, how can I install them? There are not in the Houdini installation packet or am I missing something?

It would be great, if someone could help me with this. I read already a couple of other threads but it is still a little bit confusing.

Have a nice day

Anna
31 posts
bump
22 posts
Here you go:
https://www.sidefx.com/tutorials/getting-started-with-hqueue/ [www.sidefx.com]

Best regards,
Steven
648 posts
Install on 3x machines, 
run hserver on each, grab your indie licenses,‎
install deadline slave on each,
install deadline manager somewhere.
Use the deadline middleware for Houdini or roll your own - very simple to do as its just deadline.exe -args, that way you can instantly get a whole bunch of ROPs on the farm in 1-click without redundant data-entry.‎

If Deadline isn't an option try Hqueue, though I sense a lot of frustration from its users.

Or if on Linux you can just make a shelftool that drops a bunch of shell-scripts into a directory where they're taken & executed by slaves. Extremely basic but reliable. Also a good way to queuejump if you can log-in to the slaves.‎
  • Quick Links