Houdini Engine and Android

7080   10   2
466 posts
Any chance for Houdini Engine working in Unity's Android Player any time soon? Or ever…?
402 posts
That sounds like runtime support in which case the answer is “we're thinking about it”.

It's a hard problem that we know a lot of people would like us to solve. It's unlikely to be solved in the near future but I don't think it's impossible either.
466 posts
Not necessarily real-time, although this would be awesome.

I was mostly thinking about support in the editor when it is switched to Android platform. Last time I checked (in H15, I believe) Houdini Engine didn't work in it and in order to modify parameters of an asset I had to switch back to PC platform, modify them, then switch back to Android (which usually broke the asset).

But maybe something has changed since then and now it works? I'll give it a shot. This would be fantastic.
Edited by ajz3d - March 9, 2017 14:03:21
402 posts
Oh, ya, that still doesn't work. I haven't tried to fix it myself in a while but the problem usually came down to simply not being able to use any APIs not native to the platform the editor was set to.

For example, if you switch your platform to Android, I can't use windows APIs to check the registry for the location of Engine. That's even if you are still in the Editor. That's because Unity tries to limit all C# code to the platform that you are currently set to.

The other issue was that there was no way to tell if our code was actually running on Android or if it was running on Windows with the platform set to Android.

In any case, this request has not been forgotten. There just isn't anything in the pipe I can talk about at the moment.
466 posts
Oh bummer. I suspected that it had something to do with Unity itself.
However, I'm confident that you folks will eventually succeed in lobbying Unity guys. And they will change things that block you, so the gates for Houdini Engine could open for any platform.
Jeez, having Houdini Engine working in Unity's Android mode would save me so much time… Not to mention our lead programmer from whom a lot of workload would be taken off.
11 posts
i also wish this so much, i hope houdini engine work on unity android
571 posts
We just fixed this issue. So the latest daily build of Houdini Engine should now work in Unity Editor when targeting other platforms, including Android.
466 posts
Fantastic!!!
Thank you so much for fixing this! This was the number one on my Houdini wish list.
466 posts
I'm getting this error:

Attachments:
screenshot_17-06-03_12_46_18.png (27.6 KB)

571 posts
Hi,

Try build Houdini 16.0.628. There was another change made yesterday that fixed that particular error.
466 posts
Thanks!
  • Quick Links