Fur to PolyStrips?

4119   7   1
16 posts
Hallo

Is there a recommended way for creating poly strips (sweep and skin line along curve) from the fur tools?

Granted, normal curves will do, but the fur tools does have some nice grooming tools.

While creating using Sweep with a foreach block is an approach, the orientation/roll becomes a bit tricky. So I was wondering if there are a recommended way already?

The end goal is for UE4 character's “fur” or “hair”. ie: PolyStrips/Planes with a Texture to create the look of “fur” or “hair”
2535 posts
You could try the old PolyFrame trick to help with orientation problems. Change Normal Name to up and Tangent Name to N.

Here is an example file.
http://forums.odforce.net/topic/29215-keep-orientation-when-sweeping-on-a-spiral/ [forums.odforce.net]
Edited by Enivob - March 14, 2017 09:14:17
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
240 posts
hey FLS-Eugene.

The way I would approach it is the Sweep on the foreach. Polyframe will definitely help with the orientation issues and you can do some extra tricks by sampling the head geometry's normal as your UP attribute too. In theory it should work.

The roll would be ramp attributes on the sweep nodes sampled as the $PCT moves down.

This a workflow that we are looking into supporting in a deeper capacity, but hopefully those tips will get you moving in the right direction.

Let me know if you run into anything!

Luiz
Luiz Kruel
Senior Technical Artist
SideFX
16 posts
Thanks, I will definitely look into PolyFrame as my current attempt is rather slow.

I originally added a Attribute and Paint node on the Geo to handle the initial orientation, as well as variations.

Example of variation would be an edge of the human scalp, orientating the roots can have different “fringe” styles. Up or down.

Time to play with PolyFrame

Edit: Removed comment about Recashing strokes as it is easy to get around.
Edited by FLS-Eugene - March 26, 2017 06:47:30
174 posts
Hi
Actually an orient attribute exist but it's deleted after the simulation.
You just need to remove the deletion of the attribute “orient” just after the fur simulation, this is the node “remove_simulation_attribs” in the “deform_sim”, done !
41 posts
lkruel
hey FLS-Eugene.

The way I would approach it is the Sweep on the foreach. Polyframe will definitely help with the orientation issues and you can do some extra tricks by sampling the head geometry's normal as your UP attribute too. In theory it should work.

The roll would be ramp attributes on the sweep nodes sampled as the $PCT moves down.

This a workflow that we are looking into supporting in a deeper capacity, but hopefully those tips will get you moving in the right direction.

Let me know if you run into anything!

Luiz

Any chance an example scene file could be shared?
16 posts
After some time experimenting with PolyFrame, it seems PolyFrame only works with Sweep's Transform using Attributes option. But then I lose control over twist, roll and scale directly.

Scale can be replaced with Attribute Wrangle (ex: taper effect: @pscale = chramp(“taperramp”, @ptnum / (@numpt - 1.0); )
Roll can be done with a transform at the Cross section.

Twist unfortunately is way beyond me. I think it has to do with @rot and @orient per point, but I have no idea how to implement it.
16 posts
Sharing a simplified version of what I am doing.

Unfortunately, it is lacking the twist.
Edited by FLS-Eugene - March 26, 2017 08:01:57

Attachments:
PolyHair.hipnc (447.8 KB)

• Quick Links