Can I import the actual polys/xforms from an alembic into my Houdini scene file?

2201   2   1
14 posts
When I File -> Import -> Geometry and choose an .abc there's a “link” created between my scene file and the .abc. This means that I cannot delete the .abc file.

How can I read the .abc (with hierarchy maintained) into the scene file and then be able to delete the .abc?
182 posts
If it's a hierarchy, then you'd need to copy and bake every transform and lock every geometry (could be scriptable). It won't be easy if you have deformations though.

The “link” you mean is a refernece to the file on disk. This is the usual way to handle geometry in Houdini. You rarely keep geo in the hip file, unless you want to send the file to someone who has no access to your server / filesystem.

Might I ask why you want to do this ? Usually you want to have everything referenced and not baked into the scene.
If you want the Alembic to be relative to the hipfile, then you can use $HIP/myfile.abc as a path instead of an absolute path.
Edited by blackpixel - March 29, 2017 10:21:20
14 posts
Hi Mariusz,

I see, I was merely interested in knowing if this was possible. It's a non-issue, really.

blackpixel
Might I ask why you want to do this ?

Yes, certainly. And after having spent some more time with Houdini (coming from Maya) I realize I asked the wrong question anyways… which leads me to think I should probably crate another thread, which I just did: https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/49035/?page=1#post-221423 [sidefx.com]
  • Quick Links