How to know the name the instance of the asset that OnCreated() is associated with?

2470   4   1
40 posts
Hi,

When I create a digital asset, I go to Scripts->OnCreated() method and write some python script to change some parameters in the newly created digital asset, HOWEVER, I don't know the name of the asset, hence I don't know the path to any node inside the digital asset? When I type hou.pwd(), I get “obj”…

Thanks,

Attachments:
onCreated.png (673.0 KB)
onCreated.hip (44.0 KB)

1909 posts
You want to use the information stored inside the kwargs dictionary that is available in the OnCreated script. It will contain relevant information such as a hou.Node representing the actual node that was created.

Using hou.pwd() in any Script section is generally a bad idea since they are basically scripts/modules that have no guarantee of being run in an instance of the node like you expect.
Edited by graham - April 12, 2017 10:06:54
Graham Thompson, Technical Artist @ Rockstar Games
40 posts
Thanks Just another question, I could not find in the documentation the entire content of kwargs dictionary, I found some keys like ‘node’, ‘parm’, ‘old_name’ but I got these names after watching an online tutorial

My question: does the content of kwargs change with context? Is there is a central place to know its content in each context? I know ‘kwargs’ is a python thing but I totally new to python…

Thanks,
1909 posts
They definitely vary depending upon the context. There's a list here:

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/hom/locations#python_event_handlers [sidefx.com]
Graham Thompson, Technical Artist @ Rockstar Games
40 posts
Thaaaaaaanks
  • Quick Links