How to make a waving flag... I still wonder (Wind not working in H16?)

4654   7   3
3 posts
Following along this simple SideFX tutorial [sidefx.com] I can't seem to get the Wind to work.
Anything wrong with my setup, or with Houdini (or with me)?

BTW. Reading up on everything cloth/flag/Houdini related post over the last 5 years, Houdini doesn't come out too good. Any positive experiences?
Thanks
Edited by RafSchoen - May 1, 2017 18:30:37

Attachments:
FlagSample.hiplc (182.7 KB)

www.komkomdoorn.com
Staff
429 posts
Sorry for the confusion.

This tutorial is wrong and will be fixed.
For cloth wind effects, you should use the settings under the Drag tab of the Cloth Object.
Your wind velocity can be entered in the “External Velocity Offset” parameter under the Drag tab.

The Wind Force and the Fan Force should currently not be used with Cloth, because these DOP forces feed incorrect and inaccurate information into the cloth solver. Bug 81146 exists for this.
3 posts
Thanks,
It worked out fine in the end. You can check it out on Instagram [instagram.com].
.raf
Edited by RafSchoen - May 6, 2017 10:17:24
www.komkomdoorn.com
333 posts
michiel
Sorry for the confusion.

This tutorial is wrong and will be fixed.

when will it be fixed cause it has been there for years now with multiple promises and nothing ever happened. Cloth seems at a really bad stage in houdini. I personally gave up on it after H14.

Another example that might need some attention: http://www.sidefx.com/ja/docs/houdini/model/faq [sidefx.com]
It has been empty for what feels like 5 years now?
806 posts
I have a quicktip for making a waving flag in Houdini 16 on my Patreon site …

Attachments:
cover.jpg (741.0 KB)

---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
https://www.marc-albrecht.de [www.marc-albrecht.de]
9 posts
I also ran into this… Any news on when this might get fixed?
7737 posts
I use pop forces, and pop solver to integrate.
9 posts
@jsmack: Sorry for the ignorance, but integrating a pop solver into the cloth based dop network will automatically apply the pop forces to the cloth objects?
Sounds too convenient to be true.
  • Quick Links