Softimage to Houdini "constructive comparison" (?).

2569   11   2
100 posts
Hey Gang,

A couple newbie questions following if I may,

- How do I override the display properties of an object?
I would like to have an object displayed as wireframe or bounding box while in shaded mode.

- Is there a way to Isolate selection on the viewport ?
Preferably by *not* creating bundles, nodes or any new asset in the scene.

- ( wish ) multi-select objects on the tree view. I'm not 100% sure at this stage, but I sort of get Treeview has nothing to do with xsi explorer, its more like a maya outliner? which frustrates me a bit.
It would be lovely if treeview went more towards the functionality of softimage's explorer. Where you can manage:
* Passes, Layers, Groups, Object, Lights, matLibs, Images clips, Animation Clips, Parameters, Selection, App preferences, Scene Preferences, etc…
* Filtering by “Objects only”, Objects+Params, etc…
Its sounds cluttered, but it was tidy as hell and FAST workflow.
That's to say that one of the main reasons I reject autodesk stuff is that aspect of one “specialized editor” for a given asset. (Anxiously awaiting a dif. pov.)

Feels a bit like we're on the top floor of a high building and all the main assets are on the basement.
I know there is a lift somewhere, but going thru stairs at the mo! lol.

What I keep missing most on every DCC is that old golden rule:“Surface what you need and bury the rest”. Not a precise quote by the way.

Thanks very much for reading!
A
Edited by axelsp - May 25, 2017 13:46:22
1755 posts
axelsp
Hey Gang,

A couple newbie questions following if I may,

- How do I override the display properties of an object?
I would like to have an object displayed as wireframe or bounding box while in shaded mode.

You don't override display props in Houdini. Display options in Houdini work differently than XSI. Less intuitive IMO, part because of Houdini's inherent structure and part because intuitiveness was never high on SESI's list. You have to go to “press D with mouse cursor in viewport>Markers”. Learn (or rather try to guess) what “Set display options for” and “Use” are for and you'll be able to live with it.

axelsp
- Is there a way to Isolate selection on the viewport ?

As far as I know, no. High on a modeler's/viewport junkie list, low on a veteran Houdini user list - would've been implemented already otherwise.

axelsp
- ( wish ) multi-select objects on the tree view. I'm not 100% sure at this stage, but I sort of get Treeview has nothing to do with xsi explorer, its more like a maya outliner? which frustrates me a bit.
It would be lovely if treeview went more towards the functionality of softimage's explorer. Where you can manage:
* Passes, Layers, Groups, Object, Lights, matLibs, Images clips, Animation Clips, Parameters, Selection, App preferences, Scene Preferences, etc…
* Filtering by “Objects only”, Objects+Params, etc…
Its sounds cluttered, but it was tidy as hell and FAST workflow.
That's to say that one of the main reasons I reject autodesk stuff is that aspect of one “specialized editor” for a given asset. (Anxiously awaiting a dif. pov.)

Maya's outliner is a good comparison. Most Houdini veterans work with the netview, the viewport used as a viewer and the the tree-view occasionally to not at all. I'm speaking from observation.
As of yet you won't find XSI's explorer versatility in any other 3d app. If that's crucial to you stick with XSI. If Houdini's procedural approach to everything is more important, stick with Houdini.

axelsp
Feels a bit like we're on the top floor of a high building and all the main assets are on the basement.
I know there is a lift somewhere, but going thru stairs at the mo! lol.

That metaphor flew way over my head.

axelsp
What I keep missing most on every DCC is that old golden rule:“Surface what you need and bury the rest”. Not a precise quote by the way.

What?!

axelsp
Thanks very much for reading!
My pleasure. Welcome to our parcel!
Edited by anon_user_89151269 - May 25, 2017 14:41:40
918 posts
McNistor
axelsp
Is there a way to Isolate selection on the viewport ?

As far as I know, no. High on a modeler's/viewport junkie list, low on a veteran Houdini user list - would've been implemented already otherwise.

Please have a look at the Viewport Isolator object node here [www.sidefx.com]:
And according to this changelog it is now available as a shelf tool ready to be hotkeyed:
Added mapable viewport isolator shelf tools to isolate, append, remove and clear isolation.
The shelf tools aren't currently mapped to any hotkey.

Have fun
Andy
Edited by Andy_23 - May 25, 2017 15:25:43
260 posts
Andy58
McNistor
axelsp
Is there a way to Isolate selection on the viewport ?

Please have a look at the Viewport Isolator object node here [www.sidefx.com]:
And according to this changelog it is now available as a shelf tool ready to be hotkeyed:
Added mapable viewport isolator shelf tools to isolate, append, remove and clear isolation.
The shelf tools aren't currently mapped to any hotkey.

Have fun
Andy

It depends on what level in houdini are you working, if you work on OBJ level then it can be used, but hudini is one of the slowest application i have ever seen to work on OBJ level.
Most people work on SOP level and their Viewport Isolator is useless.

If you need isolate selected on SOP level i made small script that is using selection and visibility node. Works fine, but nothing even close to XSI.
Edited by martinkindl83 - May 25, 2017 21:31:55
4189 posts
From what I've seen, the most constructive advice is not to try to use Houdini as XSI. It seems to bring enormous disappointment whilst holding you back from using it's strengths.
1755 posts
aRtye
From what I've seen, the most constructive advice is not to try to use Houdini as XSI. It seems to bring enormous disappointment whilst holding you back from using it's strengths.

100% true regarding advanced features and workflows, but there are some basic things that are pretty much agnostic about the s/w they're in. Like gizmos, scene “explorers”, etc. and this is where Houdini can be further improved. Regarding these, it would be wise to try to be at least as efficient as XSI because it detracts nothing from the current Houdini's strengths, it only adds.
100 posts
McNistor
You don't override display props in Houdini. Display options in Houdini work differently than XSI. Less intuitive IMO, part because of Houdini's inherent structure and part because intuitiveness was never high on SESI's list. You have to go to “press D with mouse cursor in viewport>Markers”. Learn (or rather try to guess) what “Set display options for” and “Use” are for and you'll be able to live with it.
Thanks for pointing me to the viewport>markers> “Set display options for” & “Use”

McNistor
axelsp
-Isolate selection on the viewport?
High on a modeler's/viewport junkie list, low on a veteran Houdini user list - would've been implemented already otherwise.
Cant wait to become a veteran. The regular day as a veteran in soft is the routine of transversing all of the elements in a given scene in such a speed that it went by unnoticed. So im clueless at the moment on how one would navigate without the treeview. Of course Im speaking from a ‘soft explorer’ stand point. So a fair bit to go still..

What I meant with my analogies:
a)'surface what you need'. Put things you need most at ur finger tips.
b)'We are on the top floor of a high building and our power tools are on the basement'. Dive in nodes, dive out. If you are a bit more daring (VOPS), Dive, Dive, Dive, out out out… Im not a fan of shortcuts flood (bookmarks) also, node ring is “off”, i saw it more like a redundancy, (why have 6 buttons on the same spot of screen with the same function?)

McNistor
Maya's outliner is a good comparison. Most Houdini veterans work with the netview, the viewport used as a viewer and the the tree-view occasionally to not at all. I'm speaking from observation.
As of yet you won't find XSI's explorer versatility in any other 3d app. If that's crucial to you stick with XSI. If Houdini's procedural approach to everything is more important, stick with Houdini.

I got this one on the previous quote
Yet, it would be nice to be able to see bundles, takes, etc.. on the tree view & Multi-select them.
Im unstoppable.. lol

McNistor
My pleasure. Welcome to our parcel!
Thanks a lot Mc! makes me really happy to have you around !
Cheers!

Andy58
Please have a look at the Viewport Isolator object node
Thanks Andy, didnt have time to check it yet but I will have a look, many thanks!

martinkindl83
i made small script that is using selection and visibility node. Works fine, but nothing even close to XSI.
Hey Martin, thanks for pointing me to the road map. I'll look more into scripting. But its not in an extremely close future lol. Im still looking for that “Command pane” thingy..
aRtey
So true, I have to agree with what McNistor said tho:
.. “there are some basic things that are pretty much agnostic about the s/w they're in. Like gizmos, scene “explorers”, etc. and this is where Houdini can be further improved.”
Edited by axelsp - May 28, 2017 12:53:01
4189 posts
axelsp
So true, I have to agree with what McNistor said tho:

sure if you are looking to improve Houdini but I thought you were looking to use it, today.
100 posts
Not today, its Sunday you nuts?!

1 - 1 + 1 - 1 + 1 … = 1/2
Edited by axelsp - May 28, 2017 13:47:35
4189 posts
check the international date line
1755 posts
axelsp
1 - 1 + 1 - 1 + 1 … = 1/2

Not sure how we got here, but there's a nice Numberphilee's video [www.youtube.com] about that series.
100 posts
Wasnt expecting to get busted by you, Et tu McNistor !!
Since we are here already: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daro6K6mym8 [www.youtube.com]
Thats me favorite
Edited by axelsp - May 28, 2017 14:05:32
  • Quick Links