hython for ROP's

2029   1   1
57 posts
So a couple of questions.

1. what licensing is used for rendering scenes with hython, I have a render controller I wrote. And can render my octane scenes on my workstation, but of course my workstation is all licensed for houdini indie and octane.
but if I try to do the same on a render node, it says no licenses could be found to run this application. I know I'll need another Octane license minimum, but would I need to get another houdini Indie license? my big picture goal would be render octane scenes on another machine. Currently I have two octane only nodes, that my workstation can grab to help render scenes, but that means my workstation also has to be rendering, which is less than ideal.

2. it seems like you can ‘render’ any ROP with hython, so is it possible to make a ROP that executes some SOP and batch it? I made a system back in my realflow days, pre-houdini that was super useful.

http://www.chriswellsfx.com/realflow.mp4 [www.chriswellsfx.com]

it essentially was a system that watched for the domain to finish siming a frame, and then would launch a script on another machine to do the secondary elements and meshing for that frame. the advantage being your total sim was always just a little bit longer than it was to do the main domain sim, essentially giving you meshing and secondaries for the same time, So that is my big picture goal with siming something like that. is hython the way to go, or is there a better way to do that?

Thanks
Chris
Staff
1255 posts
Hello,

For 1), you need a Houdini Engine Indie license for your render node. That will allow the node to run hython.

For 2), you should be able to put down a Geometry ROP in your scene and hook it up to a SOP. Then call .render()on the Geometry ROP node in hython.

And yes, hython is the way to go for batch sim'ing and geometry baking in a farm setup.

Cheers,
Rob
  • Quick Links