$JOB variable in the "Save to:" dialog problems

6765   9   1
581 posts
Hi all.
Why in the “Save to:” dialog the $JOB variable doesn't appear?
I have other custom variables in the jump.pref file but they doesn work in the “Save to:” dialog neither.

Thanks
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
581 posts
Same problems with the, for example, “Load image …” dialog in mplay.
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
57 posts
This bug you are experiencing looks like it is related to Bug ID=14890. I've updated this bug entry with your description.
581 posts
thanks tsang.
Only one thing, i guess that the bugs IDs are some internal scheduling that you use at Side FX, so i don't know anything about it.
Are there anyway to know if a bug have alredy been submited?.
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
276 posts
Hi lisux,

Out of curiousity when $JOB disappears from the menu, is it because you are already in the path that $JOB is set to? Or there is another variable that is the same path as $JOB – like $HIP for example? It could be that Houdini is stripping duplicates in the menu.

George.
581 posts
george
Hi lisux,

Out of curiousity when $JOB disappears from the menu, is it because you are already in the path that $JOB is set to? Or there is another variable that is the same path as $JOB – like $HIP for example? It could be that Houdini is stripping duplicates in the menu.

George.
Not it doesn't need to be the same.
But in case that it would be the problem, i think that a very confusing behaviour, if Houdini strip some variables due to duplication, i think that it should be warned to the user, or to have an option in the main settings to avoid it.
Even more, many variables like %JOB uses directory paths as their values, i think that it would be very handful to have a little button close to the variable value in the “Variable and Aliases” dialog, that allows to open a file dialog to choose the directory path, at the moment i have to paste/copy from a terminal or from a file manager the paths that i need.
And some standar variables, like $JOB_TEXTURES, $JOB_GEO, $JOB_IMAGES, with a more usable “Variables and Aliases” dialgo would be a good project manager, that many users are demanding.
Only another thing, for linux, when houdini opens a modal window, like when you open a select file window, i think that these windows should use the “On Top” hint of most of window managers to be on the main houdini window, is very confusing to open one of these windows, and if you loose the window focus obviously the main houdini window doesn't respond, at least you see that you have another windows behing that is “stealing” the main houdini window.
Thanks
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
57 posts
Hi lisux,

You can inquire about bugs on this forum. If the bug has already been reported to our database, someone will let you know. If you have an annual upgrade plan, you can use our email support system: support@sidefx.com. More info can be found at www.sidefx.com->Services->Customer Support.

You can also view the Houdini Journal which lists the changes to Houdini including bug fixes at www.sidefx.com->Services->Journals->Main Journal.
57 posts
The window focus bug sounds related to Bug ID=20856: Upon startup, warning message windows appear behind the main Houdini window. These message windows take the keyboard focus. If you were unaware that a message window had opened behind the main window, then you may mistakenly think that Houdini was frozen.
581 posts
Thanks tsang.
At the moment, i am using the apprentice version of Houdini, so i don't have access to the support@sidefx.com email.
I know the journal web and i try to take a look at it periodically.
About the windows problems, i think that you are refering to the xmessage windows that appears sometimes when Houdini founds an error when starting, for example when it can't found the correct files in the HOUDINI_PATH.
The “problem” that i found is that when you open any dialog, for example to open a file for a texture, or to select a new scene to open, etc … the dialog should be modal, but ypu can put the main houdini window over it.
I don't know if it is related with the Bug ID=20856.
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
57 posts
Hi lisux,

The modal dialog problem that you have described has now been submitted to the bugs database (ID=20891).
  • Quick Links