Rendering an Animation to a Video File?

8599   4   2
56 posts
Hello-
It seems like the Apprentice version only allows use of the Mantra renderer, which, when rendering an animation, places each frame in a separate file? I am wondering how to render animation to a single file, some kind of video file, like a jpeg or mov or wmv file. Obviously it is possible, but how do I do it?
-Scott V.
1743 posts
Most studios want the output as separate image files, for later compositing, which is why most renderers output to separate image files. To get a video file, you can either render image files to disk, then load the sequence in MPlay and export to video, (the specific options will depend on the codecs you have installed on your system), or, you can render directly to MPlay and export from there. However, rendering directly to MPlay runs the risk that if your operating system decides that installing updates and restarting is more important than preserving your unsaved work, you'll lose all of the images rendered so far. Hopefully that helps get you what you need.
Writing code for fun and profit since... 2005? Wow, I'm getting old.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_HFmdvpe9U2G3OMNViKMEQ [www.youtube.com]
56 posts
Yes, that is what I was looking for. Thanks. Hey, I just found MPlay under the Render menu. And I think I can figure out how to do expressions in filenames ($F). If I encounter difficulty in these areas, I'm sure you'll hear from me again. Your help is much appreciated.
-Scott
806 posts
I explain how to use mplay to create a video file from the rendered image frames in the second part of this quick tip:

Marc
Edited by malbrecht - July 5, 2017 02:53:32
---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
https://www.marc-albrecht.de [www.marc-albrecht.de]
56 posts
Thanks Marc. I didn't see the Export command until you pointed it out. -Scott
  • Quick Links