abc from Houdini to Nuke

2911   4   1
4189 posts
Hi,

Are there any standards to adhere to for sending alembics to Nuke from Houdini? So far Nuke fails to read UVs and Quads properly. Currently resorting to using .obj for success

Thx!
419 posts
Mmm weird. I just been doing that on this show that Im working on and is working great. UV is fine, we are projecting stuff, etc. Im using H 16.633 and Nuke 9.0v8 as well as 10
4189 posts
Cool - good to know - will do some more testing.
258 posts
You can't see the uv's on a packed alembic until you unpack it, but they are there most likely.

A problem that I am having right now is that the alembics that comes from Nuke are that if it has a color attribute, that attribute is written as a single float value with large amounts of attributes, color1, color2, etc. I want to re-map the values but I am not sure how they eventually get the vectors on the points. I assume it must be something like every 3 floats corresponds to an rgb value that is tied onto the id attribute or something, which would mean that every 9 floats per point give a full rgb value…

If anyone has dealt with this and knows what I am talking about it would be great to see any workflows here.
4189 posts
Okay - solved my issues - an alembic can't have triangles and quads in the same mesh - the quads don't appear in Nuke then. The UV were point attributes, so of course they will work once promoted to Verts. Sweet!
  • Quick Links