Which one and Why? SDF vs Ray March

3361   0   1
4 posts
Hello guys, I wanna ask a question to you. I'm making a Urban City with destructable buildings in UE4 and I want to render everything on GPU in Real-Time. I mean, I want to render/play in UE4 with everything on GPU calculation, CPU must calculate nothing. That's why, I don't want to create a city on clasical polygonal models. And then, I'm interesting about SDF (Signed Distance Field) and Ray Marching Volume Techniques.
According what ı know about them, Signed Distance Field is a 3D Texture and It's saving, how much point on the mesh/meshes it can see. And It is not interesting CPU, It is immediately being calculated on the GPU in Real-Time. This is espacially what I'm looking for and I love it. And I'm using Game Shelf Tool (Which Mike Lyndon and Luiz Kruel share in Github) for creating volume textures (with ROP Volume Texture) but I have a problem. I guess, in the VDB From Polygons, The Distance VDB is creating an Signed Distance Field Texture but I don't know How I can use it in the UE4. I know how I can use Ray Marching Textures in UE4 (I must create a FOG VDB and ROP Volume Texture node converting volume to a texture) with Ryan Brucks' Ray Marching Materials but SDF is a different thing. Can you help me? Thanks for advance.
This is the what DICE use SDF in Frostbite for creatig an Urban City :http://www.slideshare.net/DICEStudio/siggraph10-arrdestruction-maskinginfrostbite2?from_m_app=android [www.slideshare.net]
  • Quick Links