Great New UV layout, but...

4891   4   2
10 posts
Thank for the new Layout tool that packs so tightly. However, if I could make one request could you add an option for it to respect overlapping islands. I have a vehicle that has interior seats (among other small repeating pieces) and I would rather not have 8+ unique texture on the same sheet as well as waist precious UV space or have to use an extra large UV tex.

So if it could lock stacked islands plus Correct the area of that stack then pack it that would be amazing.

Thanks
1 posts
Exactly. In games we use overlaps all the time. Preserving UV overlaps when packing would be very helpful.
59 posts
good request. Workaround is to temporarily delete the doubled geo.
Staff
1182 posts
If I am not mistaken, I think this UV stacker asset which is included with the tutorial should help you in this way:

https://www.sidefx.com/tutorials/h16-game-shelf-tools-uv-stacker/ [www.sidefx.com]
Edited by rmagee - Nov. 17, 2017 12:39:38
Robert Magee
Senior Product Marketing Manager
SideFX
10 posts
Hi, I have a problem with the UV stacker. Has anyone been able to use the UV layout after the UV Stacker? Because that is the whole point of this, to keep the UVs overlayed even after the UV layout is used, but not all of my UVs stay stacked. The UVs also get broken into single polygons at some places after I use the UV stacker.

I have atached a file with an example of a side panel of an airplane cockpit that I am developing for a game. The panel is mirrored on the other side so it can use the same UVs, but I need to use the UV layout at the end of my network. There are 2 branches at the end, one with only a layout where the UVs are fine but are not overlayed, and the other branch uses the UV stacker but is messed up.

You might need to download the digital assethere [github.com] if you want to open the scene. Just click on the big green button to download.

Attachments:
1.png (1.1 MB)
2.PNG (1.0 MB)
3.PNG (1.2 MB)
UV_Stacker_Problem_Example.hipnc (419.4 KB)

• Quick Links