newbie question. Shatter object?

5831   8   3
61 posts
Hi,

Apologies if thisis an abvious question. I am new houdini user coming from maya. I need to shatter geometry volumetrically like you could with the shatter.mel script. Is there a SOP operator that can do this already or would I need to work out a routine to do this from scratch? Many thanks for any replies,

Frank
225 posts
check the tutorial section. Should get you started
61 posts
Hi,

Apologies again if I am missing something. There is a tutorial for dynamics quickstart that show how to setup a RBDGlue solve shatter fx but it skips the part about object shattering as that part is already done. So, I can go away and make a load of bolean objects and cut it up piece by piece but that seems slow. My other option is go out ot maya (pain and slow to solve) or 3dsmax proCutter. It would be nice to do it in Houdini and not export geometry in and out.

Any help much appreciated.
2199 posts
AFAIK there is no automatic why to volumetrically cut an object into chunks in Houdini, the setup mentioned uses a sphere and a cookie sop repeated several times to partition the object.

How does the Maya script work? It can probably be duplicated it's just a question of knowing what it does. I've never seen it unfortunately, I'm curious as to how it works though.
The trick is finding just the right hammer for every screw
141 posts
frankvw
Hi,

Apologies again if I am missing something. There is a tutorial for dynamics quickstart that show how to setup a RBDGlue solve shatter fx but it skips the part about object shattering as that part is already done. So, I can go away and make a load of bolean objects and cut it up piece by piece but that seems slow. My other option is go out ot maya (pain and slow to solve) or 3dsmax proCutter. It would be nice to do it in Houdini and not export geometry in and out.

Any help much appreciated.
Hello,

You can try using the cleave sop here:
http://www.odforce.net/codex/index.php?page=5&sec=modeling&catlimit=&sorty=&limit=5 [odforce.net]

Hope this helps,

/Rick
/Rick
61 posts
Hi,

Awesome! Worked first time with no troubles, thanks.

(To follow up the second thread, it would be reasonably straightforward to translate the shatter.mel script - it's just a procedural using standard booleans, although a bit slow and buggy if you don't get the geometry prepared exactly right. It's bundles in the standard install …. but the cleave sop above does it anyway).

Thank you very much for all the replies.

Frank
2199 posts
Cool, I thought you were looking for a volumetric solution that creates solid enclosed lumps, not just splitting up the surface. That's why I was interested, i've never seen it done automatically I don't think it is a trivial thing to do.

Apart from the cleave sop you can do this by storing the current positions of all the points in your model in a Cd color attribute, then applying VEX Mountain then use the bricker option of the divide sop then restore the original shape using the stored Cd attribute. It sounds mad but it works, see attached.

Attachments:
shatter.zip (8.3 KB)

61 posts
HI,

What can I say? Thanks again. Yes, volumetric shatter is what I want, I kind of faked it withe surface shatter by extruding the fragements and stragic object visibility at the right time - the shot is fast enough moving to do it. But I'll have a delve into your solution for sure, it's one of those things that comes up now and again.

Frank
2199 posts
My solution still isn't volumetric, I'm still searching for an answer to that too.
I just thought you might like to see another way to do something similar.
  • Quick Links