Connecting far apart nodes in the netview

1392   5   1
1755 posts
Hi,
Before I submit a RFE I want to make sure there's indeed a problem with no solution.
What I'm talking about is doing retopo work on a model but using other models ops as well. This will result in a rather big network of nodes and each new laid down topobuild SOP's 2nd input will have to be connected to the reference mesh, so that will require you to pan a lot up to the top.
The solution I tried is to set a Quickmark at the top of the tree, but when selecting the input or output to connect to the other SOP, the Quickmark hotkey or ‘F’ won't work.
Ideas?
Edited by anon_user_89151269 - Jan. 3, 2018 16:37:35
1755 posts
I have modified the title because this is not a specific to topobuild work problem, although it would probably manifest in the worst way when doing modeling due to the huge node accretion.
Staff
4438 posts
Press and hold the space bar (to temporarily enter the “volatile view state”) before hitting the quickmark/frame hotkeys.
1755 posts
Thanks Mark. I might've stumbled upon a bug - when I go “space+1” Houdini deselects the node currently active and selects, I presume, the node I had selected when I created the Quickmark. Just guessing which node, but it certainly does select another node, making “space+F” for returning to the last node impossible.
Staff
4438 posts
Yes, quickmarks remember the selection you had when you define the quickmark, and I can see why that would be troublesome here. However any time you use a quickmark, you can hit backtick to “go back” to wherever you were, with whatever selection you had before you invoked the quickmark. Basically when you use a quickmark (or hit F to Frame, H to home, etc) we create a quickmark with the pre-jump state that gets invoked by hitting backtick. Think of it as the “back” button for your network editor.
1755 posts
Ah, yes, that works pretty well and having to reselect the last node is not a huge issue but it would be awesome if it were another mode (ctrl+shift+number maybe?) which remembers just positions w/o selections so that I get to keep my selection. I should probably RFE this.

Never mind, I wasn't paying sufficient attention.
Thanks a bunch Mark!
Edited by anon_user_89151269 - Jan. 4, 2018 10:12:07
  • Quick Links