Hqueue rewrites entries in hqnode.ini

2836   9   1
126 posts
Hi there!

After the better part of a day I've finally for Hqueue/Mantra running- mostly.

I'm able to submit jobs from my laptop to my render machine. Even got the render machine using a local install of Houdini which makes for some very fast render times.

My issue is though, my laptop won't render in this setup.
I've added the my laptop client and can control/assign via the Hqueue web interface.
Ideally I'll be able to submit a job to hqueue and then leave with my laptop so my render machine is running Hserver.

My hqnode.ini on my laptop is setup so that the share folder is pointing to the render machine.
//rendermachine/hqueue

However, when ever I assign my laptop a job this gets over written back to the default “//localhost/hqueue”
Then the job fails saying it can't find //localhost/hqueue/file.hiplc

Anyone ever had an issue like this before? Any tips greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
126 posts
… well if anyone else is having this issue I fixed it! (and I feel like an idiot)
Turns out that value is determined in on your server then gets written to you clients when they're called into action. So on your server machine just make sure you define the right path in your hqserver file!

Restarted the server and client services across my network machines and it's workin!
7 posts
Hi, having same issue here

Do you mean the file "hqserver.ini"?
I put

hqserver.sharedNetwork.path.windows = \\(serverMachine)\hq
hqserver.sharedNetwork.mount.windows = H:

But still having same issue, as my client hqnode.ini file keeps overwritten "\\localhost\hq"
Could you please make sure which path you fix in the file?

Thanks!
126 posts
Hey there!

I'll have a look and let you know in a bit! I haven't used hqueue in ages. I'll dig around once I'm at the office.

BTW I used deadline for the most part these days. Much easier and I think it's free if you're just using a few machines. If you've got something critical that you need asap I wouldn't recommend switching now-just something to think about in the future. Also if you're rendering something big you might try a service like Grid Market.

Anyway, I'll provide some more details when I can!
7 posts
Thanks for your reply. I'll check "Deadline" service as well.
But if you can let me know later the detail regarding overwritten "localhost" issue, it would be appreciated!

Thanks!
126 posts
Okay, so I think I got around it entirely by not even bothering with the shared network name stuff.

I just started loading my file in Houdini via a network path.

So instead of "A:\jobs\job01\job.001.hiplc"
I copied the file (and all the required files) to a network location and then opened that network file in Houdini. From there I just submitted the job. Just make sure the you have "render current file" selected in the Hqueue rop.
7 posts
Thanks again for your checking.
As you mentioned, all of my hip files are in network folder.

I'm curious, earlier day, you had issue as below
-----
My hqnode.ini on my laptop is setup so that the share folder is pointing to the render machine.
//rendermachine/hqueue

However, when ever I assign my laptop a job this gets over written back to the default “//localhost/hqueue”
Then the job fails saying it can't find //localhost/hqueue/file.hiplc
-----

wonder how did you fix, your client hqnode.ini keeps the specific network path instead of return default path as "\\localhost\hq"?
Edited by kidsreturnjj - June 14, 2021 17:28:59
126 posts
Really for the life of me I can't remember. Once I just told Hqueue to use to use the current network file I had open in Houdini it just worked. That was a few generations of Houdini ago however!

Are you using Indie? If not I highly recommend using either ifds or usds (Mantra/Karma/Renderman)
If you happen to be using a 3rd party renderer like Vray or Redshift it's even easier to use their proprietary render files and just batch execute them in Deadline. Even if it's just on your local machine, network rendering (in my experience) are MUCH more efficient and easier to manage when using render files as opposed to executing from a work file.
7 posts
Thank you for reply again. Totally understandable since your first posting was 5 yrs ago. Thanks for trying to checking.
I might use 3rd party render(arnold), but let me dig little more how to keep client hqnode.ini path as target path instead of reset as "//localhost/hq/", since that is only issue what I have for hqueue process.

If I figure it out, I'll share the solution here again. Thanks again!
Edited by kidsreturnjj - June 14, 2021 20:15:57
  • Quick Links