illegal instuction??

7710   11   0
5 posts
Hi,

I'm trying to install houdini-apprentice on a gentoo box. All installs fine but when it comes to launching it sounds like it's launching but then comes to a halt and prints the message, “illegal instruction”, talk about vague. It's a little annoiying seeing one of linux's best features is telling you exactly where is went wrong so you can try and fix it.

Any idea's as to what may be going wrong or how I can find out?

Thanks
519 posts
Hello Dark_Angel,

i am running apprentice on gentoo 64bits without problems so it can be done. Did you check that sesinetd is running (pstree -ap | grep sesinetd)? Do you start houdini from the cli? Cd to the houdini dir, type ./houdini_setup_bash, then cd in the bin dir and type ./hmaster. Things should get rolling now. You could check the files /var/log/messages or if you are running from X /var/log/xorg.0.log but i'll doubt you find anything there…it's not linux that isn't reporting what is wrong, it's houdini that doesn't. You could also do something like ldd /opt/hfs8.0.xxx/bin/hmaster to see which libraries houdini needs and then check if oyu have installed them.

So these are my ideas what could be wrong. If you are able, give some more info.

Good luck with it!

Pagefan
5 posts
Hey thanks 4 replying.

Here's wot i did ./etc/init.d/sesinetd start
It gives no messages, so presume it starts ok.

pstree -ap | grep sesinedt and got
| | |-grep, 23398
Not femiliar with that so not sure what it means.

Go over the the hfs folder and source houdini_setup_bash, says envioment has been initialized. (made it excutible and did it ./houdini_setup_bash aswell, worked the same)

typed houdini and came up with illegal instruction.

did ./bin/hmaster, same message

When though all the shared librarys, they are all there.

So still no luck.
139 posts
What kind of CPU are you using?
5 posts
Its a crappy duron 32bit. Did think it would likely not like my processor or graphics card for that matter, but would have thought it would have told me. I'll be buying a new computer soon so hopefully i'll get it running at a later date. But I'll keep blendering for now.
519 posts
Dark_Angel i think sesinetd won't start. “pstree -ap | grep sesinetd” lists all process with pid numbers with the name sesinetd. If you only get the pid of the grep it means sesinetd isn't running (just only the command looking for sesinetd). You could do a pstree -ap and see if there is a line with sesinetd. This is my modified sesinetd script in the directory /etc/init.d

#!/sbin/runscript
#
# chkconfig 2345 89 89
# description Starts the Houdini License Manager for Linux
#
# Start Houdini License Manager for Linux
# This script goes in /etc/rc.d/init.d and gets linked
# to S89houdini in /etc/rc.d/rc2.d
#

depend() {
after net.eth0
}

start() {
if test -x $SESI; then
if test -r $CONFIG/sesinetd.options; then
OPTIONS=“`cat $CONFIG/sesinetd.options`”
else
OPTIONS=
fi
#echo $SESI $OPTIONS
ebegin “Starting Side Effects Houdini License Manager”
exec $SESI $OPTIONS
eend $? “Failed to start Side Effects Houdini License Manager”
fi
}

stop() {
# make sure we only affect the local server!
ebegin “Stopping Side Effects Houdini License Manager”
SESI_LMHOST=`hostname`
exec $SESICTRL -h $SESI_LMHOST -Q
eend $? “Failed to close Side Effects Houdini License Manager”
}

usage() {
echo “usage $0 {start|stop}”
}

In the directory /etc/conf.d i have the file sesinetd wiht the following content

#/etc/init.d/sesinetd
SESI=/usr/lib/sesi/sesinetd
SESICTRL=/usr/lib/sesi/sesictrl
CONFIG=/usr/lib/sesi
OPTIONS=
KILLALL=/usr/bin/killall

Try this. Alternativly you could try running sesinetd from the /usr/lib/sesi directory. Check if the license server is running with the pstree command

ps this is for gentoo only. Don't try this on other linux distros.

Again good luck and remember the words of Yoda “Do or do not. There is no try.”

Pagefan.
5 posts
I copied over ur script, I get this error, Those lovely words, Illegal instruction. But Its more then I had before, this time it actually tries to start it, before it gave no message at all.

* Starting Side Effects Houdini License Manager …
/sbin/runscript.sh: line 296: 9153 Illegal instruction ( function exit ( )
{
eerror “DO NOT USE EXIT IN INIT.D SCRIPTS”;
eerror “This IS a bug, please fix your broken init.d”; unset -f exit;
exit $@
}; start )
519 posts
Well well. Maybe need to start over again. I presume you are not working on your machine as root, su on a console and then type “/usr/lib/sesi/sesinetd.startup start” (omit the “ ofcourse). Check any errors there. If you don't get any errors type ”pstree" and see if there is a line like this

sesinetd,29987 -V 2 -l /var/log/sesinetd.log -z 250000

If so the license server is working. As root go to your houdini directory. Run houdini_setup_bash (./houdini_setup_bash on the cli). Shouldn't rpitn any errors so cd to the bin directory and then type ./hmaster or whatever. Should take some time before you see the splash screen. Please tell me where things go wrong.

Some other things you could check is
-did you update the gentoo system lately?
-which version of gcc are you running and does your houdini build correspond with the gcc version?
-do you have a decent amount of memory in that poor old duron computer?

Again good luck, let's hope this won't become the largest thread on the forum! P
5 posts
This the message I get

16:44:30 03/18/06 /usr/lib/sesi/sesinetd_safe: nohup /usr/lib/sesi/sesinetd -l /var/log/sesinetd.log -D -V 2 -z 250000 -R /var/run/sesinetd_localhost.pid
/usr/lib/sesi/sesinetd_safe: line 190: 8478 Illegal instruction nohup $SESINETD $ARGS >/dev/null 2>&1
16:44:30 03/18/06 /usr/lib/sesi/sesinetd_safe: sesinetd terminated

What just hit me though is I'm not running at 1024 res, I've been working on getting it to 1024 for another reason then though, oh…

Could be the problem right?

My monitor should run a 1024 but I think its nackered, everytime i try to increase the hsync it goes blank, so 800 is my limit.

GCC is right version and compiled gentoo two weeks ago, but could update 2 night. And memory, well…256
ops:

Ah this computer really should be retired by now. *Goes away to sulk*
139 posts
It sounds like maybe your processor doesn't support some of features that Houdini requires. Which Duron model are you using? Houdini requires a Pentium III (or equivalent) or higher.
519 posts
Dark_angel,

i think catlee hit the nail on the head…you got quite an old machine there (yeah i know, rubbin' it in). You should check if the cpu supports mmx and sse (less /proc/cpuinfo). I don't know if sesinetd can be run with disabling sse and mmx…houdini can (put lines in the houdini_setup_bash file like HOUDINI_DISABLE_SSE etc.)

You'd better wait till you buy that dualcore quad cpu opteron machine…
30 posts
catlee
It sounds like maybe your processor doesn't support some of features that Houdini requires. Which Duron model are you using? Houdini requires a Pentium III (or equivalent) or higher.
i Agree with catlee.

• Quick Links