fbx scale import/export options?

5456   5   0
10 posts
Hello,

I'm new to houdini and I have a question.

When I'm working with maya or 3ds max, and I export/import an fbx file, I have the option to set a scale:

The same thing with blender

and unreal also has the option to scale when importing fbx

I'm wondering if this type of scale option exists for houdini when importing/exporting fbx?

Thank you in advance! :-)

Ryan

Attachments:
maya_fbx_export_unit_option.jpg (11.7 KB)
blender_fbx_export_unit_scale_options.jpg (4.6 KB)
unreal_fbx_import_unit_scale_options.jpg (5.3 KB)

7747 posts
There is no import scale on the import dialog. However, you can apply the scale to the top node/subnet, or parent the top node/subnet to a node with the desired scale.
10 posts
jsmack
There is no import scale on the import dialog. However, you can apply the scale to the top node/subnet, or parent the top node/subnet to a node with the desired scale.

Thank you for the reply :-)

Having to manually change the scale every time I import an FBX is not really desirable. Is there a way to script the importing so I can proceduralize the process?

Exporting FBX is also a problem if I can't change the unit scale at time of export. If I use a digital asset, houdini engine seems to take care of any unit scaling in other DCCs, but I can't use a digital asset for everything, some things I have to use an FBX.

Being able to change unit scale at time of fbx import/export would really help me streamline my production pipeline. I'm hoping there's a way to change a setting or script out the process.

Ryan
7747 posts
hou.hipFile.importFBX(), but it doesn't have any options that aren't on the dialog. However, it's use in a script that prepends the scale conversion you want is possible.
15 posts
You can set import scale by adding Transform node just after importing FBX and setting uniform scale.

Setting export scale could be done in similar way by adding Transform node somewhere before FBX export. There is a little trick though - by default for some reason Houdini exports with scales 0.01:

The solution is to check "Convert units" in FBX export node:
8535 posts
FBX is the odd one out that actually uses units in Hip File Options when Convert Units is on
this is actually pretty dangerous overall as then the nodegraph itself is not defining the whole process if ou make it into HDA or just copy around it will be highly dependednt on hip file options that noone uses since it's not useable and it's better to leave it alone

for fbx import the worst offender is KineFX since it converts units live as opposed to traditional fbx import which at least does it only once during the import
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
  • Quick Links