RBD Point Object names

6981   4   1
641 posts
Hey!

Using the RBD Point Object DOP I'd like to set the names of the objects with a template point attribute. This is because I'm continually birthing Objects from points on the fly by putting $F on the Creation Frame in the Instance Objects DOP.

I've hacked up the asset and put `strcat($SRCNAME, “_” + $OBJID)` in the Copy Objects DOP for unique names but I'd like to just pull an attribute out of the template points. Unfortunately I can't see a way of pulling this info through easily although I can hack away as is..

L
641 posts
here's an example

Attachments:
spawn.02.ld.hip (347.8 KB)
spawn.02.ld.hip (347.8 KB)

557 posts
I don't know if this helps you, but did you know that you can put an expression like
if ($F % 5 == 0, $F, 0)
in the Creation Frame field of the RBD Object node?

That will give you a new object every 5 frames, and you can use $OBJID right there to give yourself unique names.

Then all you have to do is figure out how to get the real creation frame pattern you want into that parameter field…

Attachments:
creationFrame.hip (42.9 KB)

641 posts
Yeah I knew that alright! :wink:

At the moment I'm using instanced objects because it's more suited to the kind of shots I'm working on. It's great to be able to pass point attributes straight through to the RBD objects.

My current method (hacking up the RBD point object asset) is fine but if you look at the object names, you'll note that they're not strictly sequential. ie: the names don't go 0,1,2,3,4,etc but rather skip a few numbers here and there. This shouldn't be a big deal if I just build a little lookup table at the end of the sim (I need to reference the objects later) but I'd like to know how $OBJID gets determined..

L
537 posts
yes please, how does objectid get determined? I need to be able to control this number so I can give consistent otherobjid's in the impact data? It definately has to do with the creation frame but so far I can't get consistent results.
  • Quick Links