Exporting Geos as .obj between Houdini and 3ds Max error. (and Growing Ivy question)

2173   2   1
408 posts
I need to export geos out of HOudini into 3ds Max and back. But when i export to .obj, my prefered choice of format so far, i'm getting errors in 3ds Max “invalid texture index” resulting in inability to import the geo in there. Does anyone know of a work around please?

And if you wonder why i need to do so, I just need a quick way to grow Ivy on some geos and the quickest way to do so i know of is to use Gw::Ivy, from the ever so generous GuRuware(www.guruware.at). But if you know of an affordable asset to do just the same in HOudini that i can purchase somewhere, i'd be more than glad to spare myself (and the forum) the brain cells waste to figure this one out now.

Thanks a lot,

A.
Edited by Adriano - April 27, 2018 14:32:14
69 posts
Have you try exporting as Alembic? I managed to import Alembic from Houdini 16 into 3ds Max 2015 (with Service Pack 3) without any issue although you can't retime it… (which I believe 2016 and newer fixes this).

Another format will be FBX but it seems like Autodesk are aware of the invalid texture index problem: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Error-Invalid-Texture-Index-when-importing-certain-obj-files-into-3ds-Max-2018.html [knowledge.autodesk.com]
408 posts
huey_yeng
Have you try exporting as Alembic? I managed to import Alembic from Houdini 16 into 3ds Max 2015 (with Service Pack 3) without any issue although you can't retime it… (which I believe 2016 and newer fixes this).

Another format will be FBX but it seems like Autodesk are aware of the invalid texture index problem: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Error-Invalid-Texture-Index-when-importing-certain-obj-files-into-3ds-Max-2018.html [knowledge.autodesk.com]

Call me Salty Nancy, but i expect/hope for no help on the ADSK's side. My great grand father and his father before that have submitted bug's logs and error reports… even took part of never ending sterile unresolved threads on their forum… and a century later they are still waiting for support, and all they got before they died was an email asking if they wanted to continue their ADSK maintenance subscription in the beyond… in case they'd find a solution to the issues this coming century. True story.

There. I said it.

Almebic always kinda scared me, cause it tends to be heavy… but since all i need is a single frame here so i should have tried. Thanks for suggesting it.

Cheers,

A.
Edited by Adriano - April 27, 2018 16:54:23
  • Quick Links