Can't find libHAPIL.dll in UE4

87   1   0
2 posts
Every time I load unreal and attempt ti import a .hda, it gives the error “Houdini installation was not detected. Failed to locate or load libHAPIL.dll. No cooking/instantiation will take place”. When I go to the plugin settings in Unreal, it has the correct file path to the bin, and I can manually locate the file in the bin, but UE4 reports that no valid license was found. In hkey, I have a Houdini Indie license, a Houdini Engine license, and a Mantra license. I have already reinstalled the plugin to Unreal to avail. I also found a recent forum post that suggested turning on the “Start automatic server” option, and this also did not fix the issue.

Thanks for the help!

Attachments:
Capture.PNG (12.4 KB)
Capture2.PNG (9.6 KB)

2 posts
Planning on leaving this here for anyone who has this problem in the future. I fixed it (though I am not sure how). The things that I changed were pointing the Houdini location setting (in UE4) to a custom location (even though it was in the default location). The Session settings are exactly as they appear in the attachment above still (Available under Project Settings>Plugins>Houdini Engine), but I went into Hkey and made sure I had the licenses. For some reason, I had three copies of the Mantra license on my single computer, so I turned those back in and also turned in/re-checked out the Houdini Indie and the Houdini Engine Indie licenses that I already had redeemed. Finally, I went into the Services application (a Windows default) and restarted both of the current running Houdini services.

An important thing to note: as far as I can tell, the Houdini Engine settings in UE4 do not update until you try and create an instance of a Houdini Asset in the level. Until you do this, the Acquired License Type will always read “No License Acquired”. To test your license, always try and load an asset instead of simply reading the settings (there is no telling how much trouble this caused me, but probably a lot).
  • Quick Links