FLIP boundary layer - questions

3220   0   1
69 posts
Hi I'm trying to recreate the beach tank setup from scratch, and while I've went through the H16 FLIP masterclass and closely inspected all the nodes created by ocean shelf tools, I'm still having problems trying to mantain volume and transfer boundary velocities.

the “emission” part looks ok, I have an ocean spectrum->ocean source, which outputs particles + surface/vel volumes. easy

Now inside the simulation (dopnetwork), it seems that one would have 3 ways to define boundary layer settings:

1) inside flipsolver -> tab volume motion -> tab volume limits: “use boundary layer” toggle, which then asks for surface and velocity volumes (“fill new volume” is checked on my setup, and I'm not using waterline)

2) inside flipsolver -> tab volume motion -> tab solver: “guiding fields” group

3) drop two “source volume” nodes, make use of “sink FLIP” and “source ocean layer” presets, merge them and connect to the sourcing port of flipsolver

questions:

a) methods 1 and 3 look very similar, and while Ryan's H16 FLIP Masterclass uses 1, the default beachtank shelf tool uses 3. Why and when to choose one or another? What is the difference?

b) does method 2 also tries to achieve something similar ? or am I confused by the names here ?

c) if using method 1, is it correct to state that I need to use the output of oceansource node (“mantain” port) on both surface/vel volumes ? does the solver uses internal naming conventions to pick the correct data from the volume fields?

d) do I always have to toggle “reseed particles” (inside reseeding tab) for the boundary layer to work? or does it ignores this parameter and always seeds particles whenever is needed?

e) finally, there are some extra stuff inside the “ocean source” node when created from the shelf tools X the one created from tab menu. “sink” tab for example. Shouldn't they match ? what else am I missing when not using shelf tools ?

Sorry for that many questions, I rarely use shelves and I like to have full control over my trees.

thanks

Attachments:
screenshot_flip_setup.jpg (241.7 KB)

• Quick Links