Modeling primarily in Houdini

20166   85   10
466 posts
pickled
Why would anyone invest in a system for which support and development can be dropped at any time?
Very funny. Any arguments? Modeler tools exist (at least for me) from 2014. Show me what you have modeled in a destructive manner in stock Houdini, please. And yes, stay away from the modeling plugins, they are senseless
Edited by Alexey Vanzhula - May 21, 2020 04:11:51
https://vimeo.com/user43923185 [vimeo.com]
https://gumroad.com/alexeyvanzhula [gumroad.com]
1749 posts
Alexey Vanzhula
Very funny. Any arguments?
Individual pursuits as far as willingness (other opportunities, boredom, etc) or ability (illness, death, etc) to stay on a project are a lot more likely to change than those of an established company.
Alexey Vanzhula
Show me what you have modeled in a destructive manner in stock Houdini, please.
Why? I could show you some things, but I fail to see how's this relevant.

It seems to me that you took it personally and I understand why, you have skin in the game - in the meantime I've learned that Modeler plugin is actually developed by you.
I've watched your last (?) vimeo demo and it looks great. Yet this doesn't alleviate my concerns about 3rd party plug-ins developed by small companies, let alone individuals.
Edited by pickled - May 21, 2020 11:26:42
28 posts
pickled
Here's a cute thought experiment, if your life depended on the speed and quality of a modeling task, what would you choose right now? The essence of my statement can't be watered down with “but I like this or that too” arguments, because I for one, can model in AutoCAD via a command line. Or at least I was able to long ago, but I'm not insane to keep doing it, regardless of how much I enjoyed it.

For modeling speed I use Zbrush. Houdini has replaced Softimage and 3ds max for me but without Zbrush in the workflow maybe Houdini would feel too slow.

My workflow is generally blockout in Houdini (used to be softimage) then sculpt all the details. I like Houdini better for blocking out and procedural modeling than softimage, feels easier to keep things procedural to play with proportions etc.

Modeling improvements would be great though. Is there a way to vote up RFE's ?
1749 posts
There's no way to up-vote RFEs right now. The closest thing to that is to keep your fingers on the pulse of what's being discussed here on the forums and file your RFE on top of what RFE you agree with.

PS not sure why you quoted me with that since you're clearly not the user target I was having in mind. Zbrush with its dynamesh and other tools is the mother of blocking out.
Edited by pickled - May 21, 2020 19:04:30
1 posts
I know that Houdini would be good enough to get by in, but the relative speed of the work is my real concern.
1749 posts
alfred0809
I know that Houdini would be good enough to get by in, but the relative speed of the work is my real concern.
Kudos for distilling the essence of what I've been saying, in so few words.

It's very easy to get bogged down into the mire of sorting out what's right or wrong regarding a complicated issue such as this. We all come with our backgrounds, workflows and opinions and this is rarely helpful for the dev team to figure out what is actually in need to be addressed. In this light, we should see to making sure our concerns and grievances don't continue to live in an abstract or generalized plane and point out clearly what's the problem with one thing or another. Hopefully this thread will morph into a bullet-point like problem describing list, with clearly defined issues, ways to reproduce them and proposed solutions.

I'll start first with this:
has anyone here encountered the problem of having to press “T” twice after selecting a bunch of points in order to transform them?
We'll try to get to the bottom of this with examples and hopefully ways to reproduce it, but we should stay on this point until we have a problem/solution well formulated so that the dev team can address it, should this turn out to be indeed a problem.
  • Quick Links