54015   149   8
102 posts
However, on 20.0.548 everything is fine

Attachments:
20-548.png (1.4 MB)

538 posts
HGaal
No. Just select an edge on one of the horizontal sides.
https://gumroad.com/alexeyvanzhula [gumroad.com]
250 posts
Alexey Vanzhula
I'm reaching out to GCharb because I know he always have the answers to such questions. In the picture, there's a loop selected by double-clicking. On the left is Houdini 19.5, and on the right is v20. Why is this? Users are strongly complaining about this issue and have already sent many RFEs. I've even heard that the developers believe it should be this way.
I also prefer the 19.5 way of doing things, in 19.5 you double-click an edge loop, and it stops at the hole, then you select the remaining edges manually, in this case 5, in 20, it selects the whole loops, which may seem logical, but then if you need to select a hole, you need to do it manually, in this case 25 edges, the 19.5 makes more sense to me, much more convenient and fast, and modelling is all about speed! 😉
102 posts
Alexey Vanzhula
HGaal
No. Just select an edge on one of the horizontal sides.

Really. On a vertical line it is normal, on a horizontal line it is not.
SideFX know how to create inconvenience and problems out of the blue. Mastery!
250 posts
HGaal
Really. On a vertical line it is normal, on a horizontal line it is not.
SideFX know how to create inconvenience and problems out of the blue. Mastery!
I run 569 here, and whether I click a vertical or horizontal edge inside the hole, the behaviour is the same, it selects the edge loop, not the hole!

And no, SideFX isn't in the business of making our lives harder, quite the opposite, Houdini is more and more user-friendly, in this particular case they made a choice that seems logical at first, double-clicking default behaviour is edge loop selection, and they got rid of the hole selection, if enough members point out that this is not the desired behaviour, they will most likely change it back, this is how software development works, things come and go, no need to diss the developers every time a little thing doesn't go your way!
Edited by GCharb - Dec. 28, 2023 10:54:58
102 posts
GCharb
I checked that on 569 the horizontal edge does not select the hole.
By the way, do you know why I’m on build 548? because if I install a new build, it erases all my custom node colors and custom tools on the shelf. And I’m already tired of repainting and arranging them 20 times. My chair has already burned down under me. So I have a slightly different opinion about the concern of developers.
Edited by HGaal - Dec. 28, 2023 09:28:53

Attachments:
20-569.png (1.5 MB)

250 posts
HGaal
My chair has already burned down under me. So I have a slightly different opinion about the concern of developers.
And still, you seem to have no problems with the developers of your favourite software, the one you keep pushing on this forum, how odd! 🤔🤣

Shelves are usually saved in the default.shelve file in the document folder, all your shell stuff should be there, just save the file to another folder, and copy back after upgrading, alternatively you could change the path for each version so it points to a different file, at least it used to be possible!

Customize the Shelf [www.sidefx.com]
Edited by GCharb - Dec. 28, 2023 11:14:21
2041 posts
HGaal
it erases all my custom node colors and custom tools on the shelf.

No, they don't get erased.

In terms of node colors and shapes it makes corresponding files in the same directory where you find your houdini.env file.
The two files are Default_Theme_theme.nodecolors and Default_Theme_them.nodeshapes

They persist between minor builds, but for major builds like going from 19.5 to 20 all you have to do is copy and paste those files.

I don't use shelf tools but I'm pretty sure there is something similar.
102 posts
As you can see in the screenshot, the colors are still removed in the new build. Although all other settings - desktops, viewport, scale - are saved.
The Default_Theme_theme.nodecolors file is missing from the settings folder. The search doesn't find it at all, unfortunately. Moreover, a search for "*.nodecolor*" finds the only file with this extension in Houdini's own folder - default.nodecolors. But his replacement did not lead to anything, alas.
I install Houdini builds from the Houdini launcher.
I deleted the settings folder and reinstalled it several times - this does not help. Where the files with node colors are is a mystery. But obviously not in the settings folder.
Edited by HGaal - Dec. 28, 2023 16:59:21

Attachments:
colors.png (301.8 KB)

250 posts
To permanently change the shape and colour of nodes, you need to hold CTRL while DRAGGING the shape and colour from the palette to the node, it will then create the Default_Theme_theme.nodeshapes and Default_Theme_theme.nodecolors files in the folder C:\Users\username\Documents\houdini20.0, at least under Winblows it will.
Edited by GCharb - Dec. 28, 2023 17:59:00
102 posts
Dear friend, this is the problem: all colors set with CTRL are visible only in one build. In all files, in all scenes, in all nodes, as it should be. But the new build does not see them. And this was and is the case in all builds.
And on the screen you can see that there are no files with themes in the settings folder. They are not in the 19.5 folder either, although the colors were there too. This means they are stored somewhere else in the build folder.
Warm greetings to the SideFX developers!
Edited by HGaal - Dec. 28, 2023 18:20:47

Attachments:
colors.png (126.1 KB)

250 posts
I deleted both files from my folder, then I applied a shape and colour to a node in 547, then I opened 567 and the same node had the right shape and colour, both files reappeared in my folder, here are images of both versions of Houdini, and my folder, if I delete the files again, the same node has default shape and colour in both versions, so clearly both 547 and 567 use the same config files, you are definitely doing something wrong here!

You need to click the shape/colour, start dragging, then press CTRL and then drop it on the node, if you press CTRL, then click and drag, it won't work!
Edited by GCharb - Dec. 28, 2023 18:53:43

Attachments:
nodesColourShape.jpg (567.1 KB)
folder.jpg (291.6 KB)

7 posts
This thread was created over five years ago and we are getting closer to understand how to select edge loops or do bevels.
102 posts
However, stubborn deduction tells us that if the custom color in the old build is correctly set and is always visible, and this is a fact, then it is stored somewhere in some settings file, right? Otherwise, every time you start the colors would be default, but this is not the case. But there are no files with themes in the regular Houdini settings folder - this is also a recorded fact.
I have attached a video. The color is set and saved for all nodes, but there are no files. And the build works fine without these files. This means that he stores these colors somewhere else and this explains why the new build does not see them. The reason why Houdini does not create theme files in my settings is, in general, the second question. And the main question is where does he store the colors now? I would copy with my hands if I knew. The developers probably know, but remain silent and increase the amount of dislike towards them.
250 posts
HGaal
However, stubborn deduction tells us that if the custom color in the old build is correctly set and is always visible, and this is a fact, then it is stored somewhere in some settings file, right? Otherwise, every time you start the colors would be default, but this is not the case. But there are no files with themes in the regular Houdini settings folder - this is also a recorded fact.
I have attached a video. The color is set and saved for all nodes, but there are no files. And the build works fine without these files. This means that he stores these colors somewhere else and this explains why the new build does not see them. The reason why Houdini does not create theme files in my settings is, in general, the second question. And the main question is where does he store the colors now? I would copy with my hands if I knew. The developers probably know, but remain silent and increase the amount of dislike towards them.
Again, Several users, me included, have showed you that it actually works, We showed you how to do it, you are just doing it wrong, as per usual, the problem is not Houdini, the problem is not the developers, the problem is YOU who keeps having problems where there are none, and you are too stubborn to admit it and actually make it work on your side, clearly a big waste of time on our part! 🙄
Edited by GCharb - Dec. 29, 2023 07:38:43
250 posts
__feisar__
This thread was created over five years ago and we are getting closer to understand how to select edge loops or do bevels.
Nah, it's pretty clear, just a Blenderhead who keeps dissing Houdini and keeps pushing Blender on Houdini's forum, nothing new really, probably just a kid messing with Us and wasting Our time! 🤪
Edited by GCharb - Dec. 29, 2023 08:29:16
102 posts
Take a sedative and don't write nonsense.
I deleted the settings folder and houdini created it again with the default settings. BUT the colors of the nodes remained my custom ones! This means that the build saves the colors not in the settings folder, but inside its own folder. Or in some folder in the Windows directory, like Appdata\Local\blablabla. But why is this different from other users? This means that for some reason the module for saving custom Houdini colors cannot find the settings folder in this particular Windows and writes the colors to its own folder. This is a stupid mistake by the programmers of this module (they obviously get the path incorrectly due to regional settings or the Windows version) because all other parts of Houdini can see, write and read the settings folder perfectly.
444 posts
I experience a similar but different issue:

I can't add colors to this palette and make them persistent. SideFX supports insists it's saved to a file called "opColorPalette.def". But it just doesn't exist on my system.

Attachments:
Screenshot 2023-12-26 173539.png (1.5 KB)

250 posts
HGaal
Take a sedative and don't write nonsense.
I deleted the settings folder and houdini created it again with the default settings. BUT the colors of the nodes remained my custom ones! This means that the build saves the colors not in the settings folder, but inside its own folder. Or in some folder in the Windows directory, like Appdata\Local\blablabla. But why is this different from other users? This means that for some reason the module for saving custom Houdini colors cannot find the settings folder in this particular Windows and writes the colors to its own folder. This is a stupid mistake by the programmers of this module (they obviously get the path incorrectly due to regional settings or the Windows version) because all other parts of Houdini can see, write and read the settings folder perfectly.
Again, this works perfectly for other users, We told you, if we delete the files, the shapes and colours revert to the defaults, if the files were created elsewhere, a simple search would allow you to find them, if you can't find these files in other directories, it means they are not created elsewhere, did you even search for those files on your system?

BTW, the Houdini PATH file points to a default directory, so, even if the files were created somewhere else, Houdini would not even be able to read them!

So, YOU are the only one who seems to have this problem, for everyone else this works perfectly, and yet you keep dissing Houdini and the developers, so again, not Houdini's fault, not the developer's fault, clearly the problem is on your side, assuming there is an actual problem!
Edited by GCharb - Dec. 29, 2023 10:13:00
102 posts
дождевик
This file appears in my config folder. But only after right-clicking the palette again and clicking Save as Default.

Attachments:
Screenshot 2023-12-29 181744.png (62.8 KB)

• Quick Links