Error when compiling Houdini Plugin for UE4.20.2

2955   1   1
1 posts
Hi!
We're upgrading our project to Unreal 4.20.2 and, as part of the process, I need to install the Houdini plugin.
We're using a source-build and I'm following the instructions here Houdini on UE 4.20 [github.com]

I have installed Houdini Engine Night Build 16.5.591 in my computer. The plugin is asking for something >= 16.5.580. I read here that this shouldn't be a problem Plugin Failed to Load in 4.20 [www.sidefx.com] (read the last comment by the plugin developer).

The error I'm getting is this one

P:\Perforce\MyProject\Engine\Plugins\Runtime\HoudiniEngine\Source\HoudiniEngineRuntime\HoudiniEngineRuntime.Build.cs: warning: Referenced directory ‘P:\Perforce\MyProject\Engine\Source\Plugins\Runtime\HoudiniEngine\Source\HoudiniEngineRuntime\Public\HAPI’ does not exist.
P:\Perforce\MyProject\Engine\Plugins\Runtime\HoudiniEngine\Source\HoudiniEngineRuntime\HoudiniEngineRuntime.Build.cs: warning: Referenced directory ‘P:\Perforce\MyProject\Engine\Source\Plugins\Runtime\HoudiniEngine\Source\HoudiniEngineRuntime\Public’ does not exist.
P:\Perforce\MyProject\Engine\Plugins\Runtime\HoudiniEngine\Source\HoudiniEngineEditor\HoudiniEngineEditor.Build.cs: warning: Referenced directory ‘P:\Perforce\MyProject\Engine\Source\Plugins\Runtime\HoudiniEngine\Source\HoudiniEngineRuntime\Public\HAPI’ does not exist.
P:\Perforce\MyProject\Engine\Plugins\Runtime\HoudiniEngine\Source\HoudiniEngineEditor\HoudiniEngineEditor.Build.cs: warning: Referenced directory ‘P:\Perforce\MyProject\Engine\Source\Plugins\Runtime\HoudiniEngine\Source\HoudiniEngineRuntime\Public’ does not exist.
P:\Perforce\MyProject\Engine\Plugins\Runtime\HoudiniEngine\Source\HoudiniEngineEditor\HoudiniEngineEditor.Build.cs: warning: Referenced directory ‘P:\Perforce\MyProject\Engine\Source\Plugins\Runtime\HoudiniEngine\Source\HoudiniEngineEditor\Public’ does not exist.

I look into it and I noticed that the path where the the build tool is looking for the files is wrong. There's no Plugins folder within Engine/Source/…
This path is built in UEBuildModle.cs, within this function
protected HashSet<DirectoryReference> CreateDirectoryHashSet(IEnumerable<string> InEnumerableStrin
{
	HashSet<DirectoryReference> Directories = new HashSet<DirectoryReference>();
	if(InEnumerableStrings != null)
	{
		foreach(string InputString in InEnumerableStrings)
		{
			string ExpandedString = Utils.ExpandVariables(InputString);
			if(ExpandedString.Contains("$("))
			{
				throw new BuildException("Unable to expand variable in '{0}'", InputString);
			}

DirectoryReference Dir = new DirectoryReference(ExpandedString);
			if(DirectoryReference.Exists(Dir))
			{
				Directories.Add(Dir);
			}
			else
			{
				Log.WriteLineOnce(LogEventType.Warning, LogFormatOptions.NoSeverityPrefix, "{0}: warning: Referenced directory '{1}' does not exist.", RulesFile, Dir);
			}
		}
	}
	return Directories;
}

This is the line creating it is:
DirectoryReference Dir = new DirectoryReference(ExpandedString);

I've been debugging other plugins and this is the only case where that url is wrong.

Has anyone experienced this error?
Any clue on why is this happening? Am I missing anything (extra steps for manual installation)? Could it be because of a bad property/code within the Houdini Plugin build script?

Any help will be appreciated.

Cheers!
Staff
534 posts
Hi,

That issue was caused by a bug in the build.cs file due to changes in the way PublicIncludePaths work in Unreal 4.20. Tomorrow's build of the plugin should have a fix for this.
  • Quick Links