Mantra Light Shaders

321   3   1
28 posts
Hey All,

There are no resources for making light shaders anywhere, either as code or in a VOP.
I'd like to make an area light that has directionality control, similar to Vray and 3Delight.
So rays are not just cast in an increasing hemisphere from the center of the area light.
This can pull those rays more parallel, a very handy feature.
I've checked the math, it's entirely possible, but there seems to be nothing other than the actual
vfl files to go off from existing lights.

Does anyone has some knowledge they'd like to share?

Cheers

Lewie
I'm not lying, I'm writing fiction with my mouth.
1386 posts
Checkout ASAD Light/Shadow SHOPS as they are comprehensive source of information on how to write custom light shaders.
2174 posts
I made a light shader with directionality before, but it's useless as the sampler has no idea about the light shader's bias. The more you increase directionality the noisier the image gets, until you get a black image with one or two hot pixels. If anyone knows how to teach the sampler about your light shader's importance distribution, it would make it far more viable.
28 posts
Geez, that's pretty lame. It's a super useful light type, and I'm a little frustrated at that.
Thanks for the info and heads up. I shall plow along and see what results I get.

Cheers
I'm not lying, I'm writing fiction with my mouth.
  • Quick Links