vellum work flow

1699   1   1
12 posts
We normally use nCloth for our cloth sims, but I thought I would give Vellum a try for an upcoming project. I am getting really good results, but there seems to be a lack of tools to transfer the cloth simulation from the proxy simulated cloth to the rendered asset.
The way things are currently setup, it seems like it is expected that you would render a subdivided version of your simulated cloth. This will not work for us as the modeled garment has thickness and seams and other details modeled into it that are not simulation friendly.

With nCloth, I would use a wrap deformer to drive the rendered cloth. There is a “cloth deform” node in Houdini, but it seems old and I couldn't find anyway to adjust the weights. Ultimately, I get better results using the point deformer, but I still feel like there should be something better…

So, what is the prescribed way to drive your hires cloth from your proxy sim?

Thanks,
Karl
7803 posts
With Vellum, I typically simulate with the hi-res directly. If not the cloth deform and point deform are the usual options. Cloth deform is generally better at preserving the simulation shape when the meshes are very similar. Point deform can be more smooth when the meshes are very different.
  • Quick Links