compositing: from 32 bit to 8 bit output

4502   4   1
64 posts
Hi all,

I'm rendering a flea (exr format render passes) and now I'm stuck in the composite:
In the final part, i have to change the depth from 32 bit to 8 bit depth but the ‘limit’ node is affecting the whole image. I'm doing some color correction and gamma but everything is in the 0-1 range.. I'm a bit confused and maybe i'm just missing something here.

I've read the section on the help about hdr files (I read about the limit node there) but doesn't change the results and maybe I was expecting some sort of shake-like “outBytes 8|16|float” node.

The upper image is the composite preview and the other one is the rendered output.

Any hints?
thanks in advance

edgar

Attachments:
flea_output.jpg (39.7 KB)

4140 posts
Use the Convert COP, not the Limit, for altering bit depth in your composite network.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
710 posts
Looks really cool btw.
1390 posts
DaJuice
Looks really cool btw.

you mean disgustingly?
64 posts
:shock:

Thanks JC,
I thought I had tested every node hehe
Well, here's the image, finally.

I'm working in a studio in mexico, using maya and mental ray but this week of siggraph (I had to take advantage of the quiet days ) I started with Houdini.

The model was done in maya, displaced in zbrush for another project (by jc lepe, my friend and coworker) and the rest was done in Houdini.. my first task was to get a working displacement + bump mapping with the VEX_ZBrush_Displacement palette - very intuitive to modify and add the bump map part in VEX builder.

After this, I started drawing bones and capturing the geometry, adding some IKs and scripts for some channels (yeah, i'm not an animator/rigger but I feel happy!).

And then, after this, I started creating shaders and takes (I'm used t work with render passes and maya render layers) and man, I'm really excited for the flexibility and control with nested takes.. well, I did the usual set of passes: color, diffuse, specs, occlusion, scatter (I still have to find some more passes).

After the first renders were ready, I started compositing and voila!.. last week was very productive.

er… I better stop now. Just wanted to share a bit.

Thanks

edgar

Attachments:
pulgaCompuesta.jpg (38.2 KB)

• Quick Links