"null parameter when clearing" warning spam in engine logs

1859   3   1
1 posts
Hi all,

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this or not, but I'm trying to look into this warning spam we're getting only when running the game in a Play In Editor (PIE) context. To be clear, this does not show up in packaged builds or even in Standalone launched via the UE4 editor.

There are ~60ish lines of log spam generated every time we close a PIE client, which seems like it's roughly in line with the number of parameters exposed by Houdini to the editor. We've narrowed down the offending bit of code to UHoudiniAssetComponent::ClearParameters()in the plugin; debugging it, it looks like occasionally all of the parameters will have their descriptors set to “None” (instead of a formatted field descriptor like float, button, separator, etc.) but it doesn't seem consistent enough to point to that solely as the problem.

I guess my question, then, is threefold:

1) Is this behavior somewhat expected in a PIE context given the manner in which UE4 internally duplicates things for that context? If so, can we safely ignore those log warnings?

2) If not, is there potentially something wrong in the way we're exposing parameters? Any breadcrumb trails that point to a potential offender?

3) While these logs themselves seem pretty benign, is there a possibility that they are suggestive of some underlying issues that might bite us a bit harder later on?

If there's a better place to ask, I'd be happy to be redirected.

Cheers.
29 posts
I ran into the same problem and was wondering if I did something unusual in my HDA (I'm a Houdini n00b so that could easily be the case). It would be really helpful if (2) above was implemented though, to at least help me narrow in on the offending parameter.

BTW, I started getting this warning spam after bringing in an HDA for a heightfield (landscape in UE4). I recorded a video for another Houdini engine bug I ran into but noted that warning as well (https://youtu.be/Mn0u842QRuk?t=211).
29 posts
If you haven't, you should submit a bug here: https://www.sidefx.com/bugs/submit/ [www.sidefx.com]

SideFX normally responds to them in a day or two.
Staff
534 posts
Hi,

Sorry that I forgot to comment back here, but those warnings errors after PIE can be safely ignored.
Recent builds of the plugin shouldn't display them anymore as well.
  • Quick Links