Metaball blobs into primitives

1657   4   2
10 posts
i 've made a metaball from scattered points and the resulting blobs after converting the metaball are not primitives but each polygon is a primitive in itself. I want to join these primitives according to the blob they belong to so that i can measure the volume of each resulted blob.
how can i go about doing that?

thanks!!

Attachments:
blobs.hip (80.9 KB)

310 posts
One of the problems you are running into with this setup, is that metaballs form together when you make a single mesh out of them. They also interpolate parameters such as color when they mix. Even if you were able to separate the metaballs according to the primitives that go into them, you would be left with unclosed metaballs, for which you cannot measure the volume of. I've demonstrated what happens when you try and do what you were trying to accomplish in the attached hip.

Attachments:
blobs_01.hip (102.2 KB)

10 posts
thanks for replying!i see your point, but i was actually trying to measure the volume of the resulting blobs. sometimes there are smaller blobs (closed shapes) floating around the base blob. how can you measure their volume? or even if its just one blob, how can you tell houdini to look at this blob as a whole and not 8000 individual primitives?
i hope this makes sense.

Attachments:
Capture.JPG (141.1 KB)
Capture2.JPG (40.1 KB)

143 posts
Hello Phillip
I think that this is what you want ….

Attachments:
blobs_volume.hiplc (126.8 KB)

10 posts
thanks a lot Benjamin!
  • Quick Links