RFE: Quick jump to ROP driver

7332   6   2
1390 posts
Ok, I know it's not a big deal, perhaps it even possible now, then I will apologize.
I've just realized that over and over again, when I'm tweeking my scene and hit render via 3d vieport buttom I'd like to change driver setting (to enable sequence render for example) and then I have to minimize my viewport, jump to ROP and so on… Wouldn't be nice to have a shortcut to ROP setting somewhere close to render buttom in viewport? Same like a CRTL + “jump arrow” in ShadingTab of objects to open floating parameter window with shader settings.

small but useful… yes or not?

EDIT:

it is even like that in IPR pane. Next to render buttom you can open render setting for current ROP…

cheers,
Sy
109 posts
This gets my vote too.
387 posts
Ummm. Hey Symek.
There's something extra I suspect you haven't considered. This Render Menu is in a Viewport Pane. If it was just to jump to ROP's, then wouldn't you still be in a Viewport Pane - the ROP's Viewport? … It sounds like you would want the Parameter Pane in ROP's. So you're suggesting even more: a Pane Change too. That kinda breaks the UI paradigm, imho.

Why don't you just split a pane somewhere and have the Render Parms there on the screen? In a different pane group (an ungrouped pane). Then you can easily swap between the render parms of each rop from the menu in the titlebar for that pane (the one which says “/rop/mantra1/”). It saves a lot of the switching back and forth your RFE entails. I think additional panes is less of an issue on a twin-display system.

Alternately, you could perhaps have a floating pane with your ROP parameters? RMB on the ROP and select “Parameters”.

cheers, b.
''You're always doing this: reducing it to science. Why can't it be real?'' – Jackie Tyler
1390 posts
There's something extra I suspect you haven't considered. This Render Menu is in a Viewport Pane. If it was just to jump to ROP's, then wouldn't you still be in a Viewport Pane - the ROP's Viewport? … It sounds like you would want the Parameter Pane in ROP's. So you're suggesting even more: a Pane Change too. That kinda breaks the UI paradigm, imho.

Ummm. hey Ben. Misunderstanding here we have: I meant the same behavior as in objects shader tab quick jump arrow which opens floating pane shader parameters… is that what you suspect of me? It has nothing to do with changing UI paradigm although I love to change paradigm like all we do…

Alternately, you could perhaps have a floating pane with your ROP parameters? RMB on the ROP and select “Parameters”.

that's what I usually do: keep floating ROP window somewhere around. But how many floating window can we have before complete mess?

If you have two displays there is no problem at all. lots of air for flying panes… but small arrows in render button context menu would only follow convension of shaders tabs and help to get on quicky to ROPs in case you have no place for always open floating pane ROP. Houdini is great in this as you know. It gives you many ways to achieve something. After modifing my ROP settings I could close pane and open it again in one-click whenever I need to.

That is the case. Not big one
387 posts
I meant the same behavior as in objects shader tab quick jump arrow which opens floating pane shader parameters… is that what you suspect of me?
Yes. Understood. I'm saying there's an addition difference, seen if you hit: ALT+1 and: ALT+3 in any pane. ie. the Pane type will change.

Currently the quick jump arrows appear in a Parameters Pane (ALT+3). When you click on one, it takes you to another parameter set in a Parameter Pane (ALT+3). No Pane-type change. This RFE (for better or worse) is to have a jump arrow in a Viewing Pane (ALT+1) which, when clicked, takes you to a Parameter Pane (ALT+3).

Currently, clicking on an arrow does not change the Pane type. With some aggrandizement, that's a “paradigm”. The RFE adds UI ambiguity - some arrows will change the Pane type (the new ones) and some arrows won't .. Is this good?
''You're always doing this: reducing it to science. Why can't it be real?'' – Jackie Tyler
1390 posts
you are right! It wouldn't be good at all. What would be good it's the same behavior as RenderSettings button in IPR Viewer - it just opens floating paramerer pane, nothing else.
If i'm in SOPs, or even in colapsed operators, I have a long trip to ROPs. Sometimes I have to change render settings many, many times, picture after picture and don't want to switch from SOPs, the World of Green, every time (you know Houdini UI is not refreshing very smoothly… ). So I need to keep floating pane ROP opened - but as we already said, this consumes screen space.

Never mind. I thought these small arows wouldn't hurt anybody

sad, sad I'm…

80 posts
I always forget I can do this, but i get annoyed when testing shaders that I keep jumping back and forth between the shader and the render pane - you can in fact just tear-off the parameters pane you want to adjust and keep it handy while you hit the render button…is this what you meant?
tea-time + rand(FF) = true
  • Quick Links