edgecups after subdivide?

4096   4   0
129 posts
Is it possible to control a edgecusp after subdivision ? What I would like to do is being able to let edgecusp use the same edges defined in creaseSOP.

crease–>subdivide–>edgecusp
7733 posts
You could create a group based on the crease attribute before the subdivide. Then edge cusp your group afterwards.
129 posts
Thanks for your reply Edward but grouping edges is one of the the things that I have not figured out how to do in Houdini. Is it even possible? I think I´ve seen some workaround script somewhere but no luck really. Or do you mean the creaseweight attribute on vertices? I dont know how to group that either.

Any help in that area is much appreciated
7733 posts
Hmm, yeah that doesn't work. I managed to get semi-good results my turning on Generate Creases on the Subdivide SOP and then using the generated group in the edgecusp. You have to make sure your creaseweight is larger than your subdivision level though.
129 posts
Oh yeah, thats what I´m talking about It wasnt clear to me at first but the following procedure give desired results.

geometry–>crease–>subdivide(Generate Creases)–>edgecusp(crease group)–>delete(crease group)

it is actually equal to hard edges in other packages. The nice thing about it is it totally procedural and one can also pipe the crease group into polybevel and get fine control over edges.
  • Quick Links