BUILDING SPLAT MAPS FROM WITHIN UE4 with houdini digital asset LANDSCAPE

2738   2   1
4 posts
Hi

Im currently building an asset that features both a landscape and road driven by a curve input.
I have this set up inside ue4 and as far as it goes it works great . .. What id like to do next is output a mask map to mask out the edge of the road in the UE4 grass tool …
The idea being that as I edit the curves for the road in ue4 , all i need do is press the a button and save an updated mask map to disk ( and then manually reload the map file into the material ).

This splat map would be outputted from the heightfeild_output node in houdini.

So This is easily done in my digital asset from within houdini .. ..
I have it set up and it works ..

However In UE4I cant get the heightfeild output node to work ..
I tried setting up the save to disk and file output name in my digital asset parameters .. but no success ..
The digital asset parameters work fine when loaded in houdini (save to disk etc) but not in UE4.
Is this simply not possible or is there something specific i need to do .
453 posts
Have you checked the docs:
https://www.sidefx.com/docs/unreal/_outputs.html#OutputLandscape [www.sidefx.com]
?
Staff
534 posts
Hi,

If you don't want to export your heightfields directly via the plugin but insist on using the HF_Output node, there's a couple things you need to know:

- You may want to promote the file parameter on the HDA so it can be set directly in Unreal, relative paths and paths that uses env. variables (like $HIP) will be different depending on if the HDA is used in Houdini or Unreal.

- When using a button in a HDA (from a ROP, or the HF_Output node in your case), the node that owns the button must be set as editable in the HDA's type properties (in the node tabs) or the button press wont register if the node is locked.
  • Quick Links