Focus and camera / viewport control

84   3   0
10 posts
I find myself constantly fighting the camera in the Houdini viewport.

When I focus on an object with “space+g” and try to rotate the camera around the selected object, I can sometimes “tumble” around the selected object with “Alt+LMB” or “Space+LBM” but most of the time the view rotational center is way off. So as soon as I try to tumble, my object disappears out of view and I have to center it again.

It also seems to make a difference if I have the translate tool selected, or the item selection tool is active.

Is there a Softimage or Maya “F” key equivalent in Houdini that works reliably ? I googled around, and it seems it should be “Space+g” but that looks like a case of hit and miss.

Thanks,

R
Edited by toonafish - June 14, 2019 05:23:53
10 posts
oh, just figured there's a “frame selected” in the viewport menu that sometimes seems to do the same as “space+g” and works just as flaky.

It says it should work with “F” hotkey, but that doesn't work at all ( also “Shift f” doesn't ).

Strange…

R
476 posts
Hi toonafish,
Do you have “Set Pivot on Tumble” checked? This option is found under Edit > Preferences > 3D Viewports > Default Tumble Pivot. It was introduced more recently (H16 or H17-ish?) and is now the default behavior. Any time you begin tumbling it will set the surface under your mouse cursor as the new pivot. Personally I never got along with this method, as you have to be mindful of where your mouse cursor is any time you are tumbling.

I prefer to set “Keep Pivot on Tumble” and to manually set the pivot with Space+Z. This will re-frame the viewport which works well for me. You can also do Space+Shift+Z which will set the pivot under your cursor but not re-frame the viewport.

Space+F should work too and that is the equivalent of Maya's F key. The difference between Space+F and Space+G is that the former will frame up your model/selection while maintaining the view orientation, and the latter will frame up the object but reset the orientation to “Oblique” or probably whatever you have set under Edit > Preferences > 3D Viewports > Default Homing Method.
Edited by DaJuice - yesterday 15:20:08
10 posts
Hey thanks DaJuice.

This seems to explain some of the strange behaviour I experienced.

So if I understand correctly, the equivalent of Maya's or Softimage's F key is is by default separated into 2 Hotkeys in Houdini. One to place the camera ( Space + G ) and one to place the “tumble pivot” with Space + Z ?

What's the advantage of this ? Why not simplify it and make it behave as predictable as in Soft or Maya ?

R
  • Quick Links