Memory leak in Mantra?

3552   3   0
1145 posts
I'm rendering in Houdini 8.1.802 and I seem to have a memory leak, or some such beast, when rendering with Mantra.
The render uses ram, obviously, but doesn't seem to want to release it when the render is done.

I'm not doing anything special with the rendering, mostly defaults, although I changed the bucks to 32.

In order to clear the memory I need to restart Houdini.
“gravity is not a force, it is a boundary layer”
“everything is coincident”
“Love; the state of suspended anticipation.”
Staff
2593 posts
probbins
I'm rendering in Houdini 8.1.802 and I seem to have a memory leak, or some such beast, when rendering with Mantra.
The render uses ram, obviously, but doesn't seem to want to release it when the render is done.

I'm not doing anything special with the rendering, mostly defaults, although I changed the bucks to 32.

In order to clear the memory I need to restart Houdini.

Mantra is started as a separate process. After rendering, the process is terminated. So, any memory that is persistent from frame to frame is being retained by Houdini.

Could you put together a sample file?
1145 posts
FYI, a follow-up on this topic. After doing some more digging it appears that the memory problem is something in Ubuntu 6.06, specifically the latest update to the kernel. I'm slowly pursuing this, but it will ultimately depend on Ubuntu generating another update.
1145 posts
In the ongoing saga of the memory leak, it indeed seemed to be specific to Ubuntu rather than Houdini.
The latest update to the Dbus interprocess messaging system, seems to have calmed the problem significantly. It's not quite back to what I would like to see, but at least the cache isn't filling to the brim :roll:

I'm finding this somewhat facinating so will keep you posted till I get bored.
  • Quick Links