Using the Curve Advect tool inside an Hair Gen

2127   3   0
12 posts
Hi there,
When I use the Curve Advect tool inside a Guide Groom node that is connected to a rest pose geometry, and then use a Guide deform node to move it, everything works fine and the curves I have drawn with the Curve Advect setup follow the geometry.

The problem is when I use the Curve Advect tool inside the Hairgen node:
- Since the fur is now connected to an animated geo the curve advect setup breaks.
I am able to turn on the “Use UV's” option on the draw curve node, to make the curves stick to the animated geo.
But then the mirror node (which is mirroring the curves I have drawn to the opposite side creating a symmetrical setup) breaks because the geometry is changing position and the mirror looses it's reference.

Is there a way to use the Curve Advect Tool inside the Hair Generate node, and have it follow a moving character / geometry successfully?

I have attached a hip file with the setup and also some example images.

Attachments:
Curve_Advect_test_002.hip (890.5 KB)
Curve_advect_001.png (94.4 KB)
Curve_advect_002.png (241.0 KB)

12 posts
Hi Everyone,
So I submitted this issue to support and apparently you can't use the Curve Advect at the Fur level - Only at the Guide level and on the rest pose only!

Here is the SideFX support reply:
“ I'm afraid that's not currently possible, or at least would be very complicated. The mirroring is only the start of it, because the adevection also wouldn't work with a time-dependent input, (or at least ”shouldn't“).”

At least this way we are aware of the limitations of the Curve Advect Tool.
Hope this helps!
7766 posts
You can perform unstable operations in the hair gen, if you use static generation.
12 posts
Yes you are right - I was actually testing it just now!

So, the solution for the setup is this:
- We have a rest pose and an animated version;
- We connect the rest pose to the Guide Groom to generate the guides;
- We then connect to a Guide deform node and also connect the animated version - This will move the guides to match the animation;
- Then we connect the Hair Gen to the output of the Guide deform;
- And the most important thing: turn ON "Perform Hair Generation and Editing at Rest" option on the Hair Gen node under Static Generation;

Once you dive inside the Hair Gen you will see that it goes into the rest pose, and all your editing is done without any motion happening, so the Curve Advect Tool actually works perfectly in this setup!!!

Hope this helps
  • Quick Links