Create trianglar mesh from points (x,y,z) data

4815   5   0
10 posts
Hi
I would like to create a mesh from a set of points (eg in the .geo file attached). The data in the file represent topography, so the results would ideally look like a earth like surface.

I have tried “triangulate2D” which almost does it but loses all the z data (eg makes it into a 2D plain) and there are other operations that look like they have potential but don't quiet get there, such as polyloft, skin, isoOffset…..

The reason i want the get a surface is to map a image to the mesh, maybe there is a way to map the image without a mesh eg directly on the point and it looks like a mesh?

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Nick
4262 posts
Use the Triangulate SOP then use the Point SOP to copy the Z information back in.

Attachments:
Tri.hip (253.8 KB)

if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
387 posts
http://oldsite.vislab.usyd.edu.au/staff/ben/aust/index.html [oldsite.vislab.usyd.edu.au]
''You're always doing this: reducing it to science. Why can't it be real?'' – Jackie Tyler
10 posts
thanks for the example Wolfwood… but can you tell me why the “TY2” works? how for example can you acess any variable in any point SOP?

AND a big thanks to Ben… haven't read it all yet but there is some great stuff in there! cheers
4262 posts
$TX2, $TY2, $TZ2 are local variables for the second input. Check the help for the Point SOP, there are a ton of variables available for abuse.
if(coffees<2,round(float),float)
345 posts
nick_bart
thanks for the example Wolfwood… but can you tell me why the “TY2” works? how for example can you acess any variable in any point SOP?

AND a big thanks to Ben… haven't read it all yet but there is some great stuff in there! cheers

$TY2 in pointSOP means: for each point position (of the first imput) assign a Y position of the second imput.

You can store any value in an custom attribute (using attributecreateSOP) Then you can create “Local variable” name which is exacly the same thing as $TY. You can recall values stored in attributes using local variable names.

hope that helps

cheers
kuba
  • Quick Links