Problems using Fluid Vertex Animation in Unreal 4

3441   4   1
40 posts
Hi, I'm trying to use a fluid sim vertex animation in Unreal 4. I'm able to get my sim imported and working nicely as a fluid sim, but I'm running into a couple of major blockers when I try to use it in game.

1) When I add my mesh to a Blueprint, it shows up at origin, and I can't move it at all! I can scale and rotate it, but nothing I can do will move the mesh away from the Blueprint's origin.

2) If I attach the mesh to anything moving, which I really want to do, the motion blur goes crazy. I think it must be blurring based on the motion of the actual polys or points, which are moving in a crazy way under the hood.

Are there workarounds for either of these problems? I don't think I'll be able to use this tech unless I can solve them.

Thank you!
Brian
40 posts
OK, here's another problem. I added the fluid sim mesh as a component to a Blueprint object that a character is holding. Unfortunately, when I do this, the blueprint object correctly slaves to the hand, but the fluid sim appears to be attached to his waste. Is there any way around this?

Also, if I drop the fluid sim mesh directly into the world, it plays correctly. I can move, rotate, and scale it correctly, too. It's just when it's inside another BP that it gets screwed up.
Edited by bkohrman - Oct. 3, 2019 13:10:34
40 posts
I guess no one has had this issue, or no one has solved it?
394 posts
Hey Brian. It’s probably got to do with world and local space. In the shader we’re using world position offset. Try changing that so it takes the position of the blueprint into account.

Rotation is a little trickier. I need to add some logic to the shader for that.
40 posts
Thanks for that info, Mike! I will mess with it shortly and see if I can get it working.
  • Quick Links