Blending animation layers

1869   3   1
5 posts
Hi, first post. Sorry if this is in the wrong place or a silly question. I'm just getting started with Houdini, and I'm really liking it!

Here's my question: I'm trying to animate a character. I want him to run for awhile, slow down, stop, etc. My idea was to use the animation layers and create a looping running cycle, and animate it's influence down to zero when he's not moving. Scrubbing the value from 1 to 0 manually creates the blend I'm looking for, but when I keyframe the transition nothing happens. I can see the value change in the animation mixer window but the run cycle remains visible.

What am I missing?

Thanks!
3 posts
I have the exact same problem, I have made test on both a mac 17.5.391 and windows 17.5.445 and its the same behavior in both cases.
This is breaks the whole idea of animation layers :-/

I have attached a test hip file

best
Rasmus

Image Not Found
Edited by rlinck72 - Nov. 23, 2019 07:41:31

Attachments:
layerMixer_test.hiplc (80.2 KB)

407 posts
Same here.

Is it possible to animate the blending of several animation layers in Houdini ?

I'm trying to figure out how to use animation layers, and it seems it's only possible to disable or enable a layer.

When I animate the layer weight of my second layer nothing happens. I set it to "1" on the first frame, and to "0" on frame 25, but only the value of the first keyframe seems to be accepted.

Is there some secret trickery involved to make this work ? Because when I check the manual this should work.

Thanks.
8551 posts
I opened the file and seems to work fine, the layers are blending according to animated layer 2 weight at least in 19.0.496
Edited by tamte - Jan. 31, 2022 19:27:47
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
  • Quick Links