No OpenCL devices available in Houdini 18.0.2 Linux Manjaro

2781   4   2
43 posts
Hi there,

I have spent most of the day setting up a fresh install of Manjaro KDE and auto installed the Nvidia video-nvidia-440xx drivers no problem, but after loading up Houdini 18.0.287 I noticed the viewport seemed a bit sluggish (I have a Geforce RTX 2080 ti card running the display, and a second RTX 2070) and when I tried to run a Vellum sim I got this error:
OpenCL Exception: clCreateProgramWithSource (-34)

Looking in the preferences I noticed that under the OpenCL Device settings there is nothing listed in the devices.. it just says No devices available.. for either GPU or CPU type.

This was working fine in KDE Neon and Windows 10 as far as I know.

Any Linux gurus that might be able to lend a hand to troubleshoot this?
I wonder if Manjaro is even recognizing these GeForce cards. It's running recent kernel: 5.3.12-1-MANJARO

In Manjaro Hardware Configuration in System Settings the 2 Geforce cards are listed as “Unknown device name (nVidia Corporation)”
Could that be a clue?

Thanks for any help!
This is the one hurdle left stopping me using this sweet Manjaro distro for my work
-Mark
MC
4189 posts
435.21 is working. 440 seems to cause issues at the moment.
172 posts
same here, just installed fedora + kde plasma with auto installed the Nvidia 440.31
I'll try 435 as suggested

!! (confirmed 435 works perfect) !!
Edited by Ivan L - Nov. 30, 2019 15:57:57
I contribute to the beauty of this world
43 posts
Ah k thanks for the report, it's a bummer because I need 436+ for Redshift 3.0.11
MC
43 posts
I changed my drivers to 435.21 and I'm still getting the same issue.. no OpenCL devices available in Houdini

Any other suggestions on what I can try?
Otherwise I'm going back to KDE Neon where I didn't have this issue
Cheers
MC
  • Quick Links