Houdini start up; start frame

4832   13   1
70 posts
Recently we changed the default start sequences from 1 to 1001, but every time we start up Houdini, the animation range is correctly set to 1001 and the frame cursor is set to 1.
How do we change the frame cursor from it's default value, so that it also on start up is set to 1001?

Kind regards,
Chris
https://www.youtube.com/@Klonkel
2036 posts
What do you mean by ‘frame cursor’?

If the frame range is set to: Start = 1001, and End = n,

then the first frame will start and show as 1001.

Did you remember to click on ‘apply’ and save your file before re-opening the hip? (When you set the new range).
Edited by BabaJ - Feb. 20, 2020 14:51:20
7741 posts
Have the startup script that's setting the frame range also set the current frame to the first frame in the range.
70 posts
@BabaJ
With frame cursor I actually meant the current frame. Yes the frame range is set and applied to 1001 to 1240, but every time houdini has started up the frame range is correct, from 1001 to 1240, but the first frame is set to 1, until I do ‘ctrl + upArrow’, then it snaps to 1001.

@jsmack
Do you know where I could find a startup script, or how to set this?
2036 posts
@BabaJ
With frame cursor I actually meant the current frame. Yes the frame range is set and applied to 1001 to 1240, but every time houdini has started up the frame range is correct, from 1001 to 1240, but the first frame is set to 1, until I do ‘ctrl + upArrow’, then it snaps to 1001.

That's odd, must a bug for your current version. If you don't need to work with the current version you might want to try a more a recent version or even try your current version but with a different hip to see if it gets repeated; possible it's only your current hip that is glitched. Otherwise, bug report.
70 posts
BabaJ
@BabaJ

That's odd, must a bug for your current version. If you don't need to work with the current version you might want to try a more a recent version or even try your current version but with a different hip to see if it gets repeated; possible it's only your current hip that is glitched. Otherwise, bug report.

Just tried it with our previous houdini version; 17.5.425, changed the startup time range to 1001, but still the first frame is after the startup set to 1 instead of 1001?
7741 posts
Klonkel
BabaJ
@BabaJ

Just tried it with our previous houdini version; 17.5.425, changed the startup time range to 1001, but still the first frame is after the startup set to 1 instead of 1001?

How are you changing the start frame in the first place? Don't you need a custom startup script for that?
17 posts
I think he is just setting start and end in the global animation options and saving it as default. I just tried it and this indeed makes a new scene be set to 1001 - 1240 while having 1 as the current frame.
Startup script would be the way to go, though to be fair, it would be expected behaviour of Houdini to be on the first frame of the range on startup.
Houdini 18.0.348
Edited by dzigakaiser - Feb. 21, 2020 11:06:44
freelance matte painter & environment concept artist
2036 posts
I think he is just setting start and end in the global animation options and saving it as default. I just tried it and this indeed makes a new scene be set to 1001 - 1240 while having 1 as the current frame.
Startup script would be the way to go, though to be fair, it would be expected behaviour of Houdini to be on the first frame of the range on startup.
Houdini 18.0.348

That's odd because I am using 18.0.348 too and my first frame starts at the default start frame of 1001 (for the hip with range set to 1001 - 1240).

My bad though, I think the op meant for all hip files which is why jsmack suggested a script. Default range set in a hip stays only with that current hip, not accross the board for other hips.
7741 posts
Yeah, I thought you meant changing the start range for all future scenes.
17 posts
jsmack
Yeah, I thought you meant changing the start range for all future scenes.
Yes, I also think that is what OP meant^¬^ And I just thought that if you click “Save as default” in the global animation options and the future files do have the frame range set correctly, then they should maybe also have their current frame set to the start of this range and not to 1
7741 posts
Ha! I didn't realize the global animation options had the ability to set a default. I'm used to that kind of stuff being taken care of for me by the pipeline and rarely open that dialog to begin with.
17 posts
@jsmack:
Yeah, same ^.^

@Klonkel:

The easiest way would be to go to your Houdini user folder and create a “scripts” folder. In there you simply create a 123.py file with this content:
#Houdini startup script
import hou
start = 1001
end = 1240
hou.playbar.setFrameRange(start, end)
hou.playbar.setPlaybackRange(start, end)
hou.setFrame(1001)
*Edited the code since I found a cleaner example from jsmack and xjorma here: Set range thread [www.sidefx.com]
If you use Houdini Core, the script needs to be called houdinicore.py.

Info about the start up scripts here:
Docs Python Script Locations [www.sidefx.com]

Take care,
Dziga
Edited by dzigakaiser - Feb. 21, 2020 16:42:14
70 posts
Thanks for all the replies!

Yes I changed it via the Global Animation Options, going to change it via a startup script now!

Kind regards,
Chris
Edited by Klonkel - Feb. 25, 2020 05:38:07
  • Quick Links