Creating multiple material instances with just one hda

1750   0   0
11 posts
Hey Guys!
i know, there have been a couple of threads about this, but ive still not found a ultimate solution.

i have troubles getting my procedural city generator into unreal. i cant assign multiple instances.
to test various things ive created this testfile with just two boxes.
basically those boxes should use different textures like in the houdini scene, where i use overrides to apply the tex to a principled shader.

in unreal i wanna use a master material and let houdini engine create two instances of this material and apply these different textures. but it always just created one material instance and applys it on both objects

can anybody help? ive also attached the file
the “solution” to this described here cant be the way to go: https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/69341/ [www.sidefx.com] because i need a couple of hundred material instances.

using two principle shaders with the textures assigned to them of course works, but i need to use ONE specific master material. so the issue seems to be, that houdini engine doesnt check, if the parameter overrides differ for each primitive and just creates a isntence with the first parameter override it finds. which would also explain, why it doesnt change a bit when applying just the second texture to my test scene.

that basically makes this system useless for now and my city generator as well. hope someone has a solution for this

best
Edited by Squarebytes - March 19, 2020 05:53:47

Attachments:
houdini1.JPG (98.6 KB)
houdini2.PNG (956.4 KB)
testboxes.hiplc (256.4 KB)
hoduin2.PNG (848.2 KB)

• Quick Links