running TOPS local scheduler and custom houdini env

2878   5   1
75 posts
I'm just learning TOPS, so be gentle, but at our studio
we run a very customized houdini environment with lots of external
libraries and startup scripts

I've tried to set up a basic TOPS network to write out a series of
simulations using the rop-fetch top node and it seems that when it cooks
and launches the Hython job to render the bgeo frames, it launches hython in a sterile environment that doesn't pick up our custom paths/libraries etc.. so the job fails.

I would have assumed that the local scheduler would run like “Save to disk in background” works and pick up the existing environment when it launches but it appears to not do that?

What nodes or things do I have to do to be able to launch a PDG job correctly so that It will run within our environment ? Do I have to write our own scheduler? or is there a place/node to add commands to pass to the shell before hand that will allow me to set up the environment for that shell that launches the hython job?

thanks in advance.

-john
603 posts
If you don't have your own hython wrapper script you need to use, you can probably just indicate that HOUDINI_PATH should be inherited by jobs. Do this with the scheduler task environment job parms.

Attachments:
houdinipath.PNG (22.7 KB)

75 posts
Chrisgreb, Ah, ok so regarding the first part, where would I substitute my own hython wrapper if we had one, not sure we do but we probably can wrap one up really quickly.

Otherwise I will try the other idea too.

thanks
-j
603 posts
Some studios need to run hython via a wrapper script. If that's the case you can override the hython that is used by PDG by setting the environment variable PDG_HYTHON. If you don't already have a wrapper script you probably don't need one for PDG and don't have to worry about it.
5 posts
Hi Chris

chrisgreb
Some studios need to run hython via a wrapper script. If that's the case you can override the hython that is used by PDG by setting the environment variable PDG_HYTHON. If you don't already have a wrapper script you probably don't need one for PDG and don't have to worry about it.

I seem to struggle to find any documentation which would mention PDG_HYTHON - env variable.

Can you point me to any, please ?

Thanks ,

/Risto
603 posts
Doc is in here:

https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/tops/paths.html [www.sidefx.com]
  • Quick Links