Exporting weight painted rigs to Maya

1971   3   2
3 posts
Hi there. I have exported a rig that I have built in Maya with a simple animation. I am trying to paint the weights inside Houdini with the Capture Layer Paint Node. When I export my geometry as FBX to send it back to Maya, I am presented with blown out geometry. Normalizing the weights inside Maya has no positive effect. I have attached some screenshots below. I have tried changing different FBX SDK's in the exporter as well as checking ‘Force Blend Shape Export’ and ‘Force Skin Deform Export’. I ran an additional test where I imported the original FBX from Maya and then exported it from Houdini with no changes. When importing this into Maya, the same errors occurred.

What can be done to fix this? Thank you kindly.

Attachments:
Maya.png (81.3 KB)
Houdini.png (134.3 KB)

7715 posts
Have you tried the KineFX workflow for this in 18.5? I wonder if it still has the same problem.

Attachments:
Capture.PNG (41.4 KB)

3 posts
edward
Have you tried the KineFX workflow for this in 18.5? I wonder if it still has the same problem.

Hi Edward. Thank you for your suggestion. I upgraded to 18.5 and tested this out. Importing and exporting the unmodified fbx from Maya works fine. No blown out geometry.

I am not sure how this system works just yet, and if I can paint directly from your example setup. What I have done is import the original fbx, paint the weights, export, and then import into this example network you have given. From there I was able to export the modified weights successfully.

Kind regards,

Jonathan
7715 posts
You can just insert a Capture Layer Paint SOP before the first input of the Bone Deform.
  • Quick Links