Using command chain with existing xmlrpc server

1868   2   2
8 posts
Hi Im trying to use houdinis command chain with an existing xmlrpc server that Im running outside of houdini. I might be misunderstanding how it all works!

Im starting with the example here -
https://docs.python.org/3/library/xmlrpc.server.html#module-xmlrpc.server [docs.python.org]
from xmlrpc.server import SimpleXMLRPCServer
from xmlrpc.server import SimpleXMLRPCRequestHandler

class RequestHandler(SimpleXMLRPCRequestHandler):
    rpc_paths = ('/RPC2',)

with SimpleXMLRPCServer(('localhost', 8000),
                        requestHandler=RequestHandler) as server:
    server.register_introspection_functions()

# Register pow() function; this will use the value of
    # pow.__name__ as the name, which is just 'pow'.
    server.register_function(pow)

# Register a function under a different name, using
    # register_function as a decorator. *name* can only be given
    # as a keyword argument.
    @server.register_function(name='add')
    def adder_function(x, y):
        return x + y

# Register a function under function.__name__.
    @server.register_function
    def mul(x, y):
        return x * y

server.serve_forever()

It works great! I can connect to it outside of houdini and run the example functions. all good.

I can also connect to this(external to houdini) server in tops using a python command chain using the "connect to existing server" option.

As soon as I add a "send command" top to this command chain I get the following error-
Error running callback 'onCookTask': sharedserver info is invalid for name 'localscheduler/sharedsever0'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.287/houdini/pdg/types\utils\commandchain.py", line 205, in onCookTask
raise pdg.CookError("sharedserver info is invalid for name '{}'".format(server_name))
CookError: sharedserver info is invalid for name 'localscheduler/sharedsever0'

I dont understand what is happening here. This happens even if the send command is blank.
603 posts
There are particular RPC functions that 'sendcommand' expects to be available to execute the script. You should base your server on the implementation in $HHP/pdgjob/genericrpc.py, which is what is used by the other command chains.

For example you can run

python.exe $HHP/pdgjob/genericrpc.py --start --host 0.0.0.0 --port 59902 --log c:/temp/myserver.log

To start a python command chain server that can be connected to.
Edited by chrisgreb - Dec. 13, 2020 10:32:35
8 posts
Hi Chris, thanks I had a go at running the genericrpc.py and I was getting the same error.

BUT

Ive had a second think about why im even using a command chain. I can set up my own server and run functions using xmlrpc in plain old "python script" top nodes which seems to be working.
  • Quick Links