Missing hierarchy after exporting HDA to Unity

2405   3   2
2 posts
I have a couple of object-level geometry nodes in a specific hierarchy, which is lost when I cook the HDA inside Unity - all I have is a root object and everything else is flattened out(well, unless if I create objects with either copy to points or by using the unity_instance attribute - but in this case, I'm trying to export a puzzle basically, pretty much each part is unique with different scripts attached to them so this is not an option). Am I missing an obvious checkbox somewhere, or is this straight-up not supported? Exporting it manually as FBX works perfectly - but then I would have to basically set everything up again from scratch.
Edit: also if a node has multiple children it is duplicated for each when cooked in Unity - and since the hierarchy is gone I have no idea why it's even here at all, these are mostly just nulls used for organization purposes(so they are just empty gameobjects inside Unity).

I'm on Houdini 18.0.499 and Unity 2019.4.5f1
Edited by receceasd123 - Dec. 27, 2020 17:51:37
100 posts
Hi, if you are still having trouble with this, please submit a bug report with your HDA: https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/38188/ [www.sidefx.com]
5 posts
Hi! I'm also running into this

I created a super basic setup with three boxes in which the third box is parented to the second box to test, and box 1 and 2 are parented to a null. One of the boxes also has collision geometry group.

I get similar results as receceasd123 when cooking the node in Unity, where:
1. the master null is duplicated according to how many children there are.
2. the parent/child relationship is ignored, and each box/null is a direct child of the main hda game object.
3. the collision geometry group is imported as separate geometry instead of as collision geometry on the box it belongs to.

Are there any checkboxes I should tick, or something like that, or is this by design?

Any tips or pointers are appreciated Thanks
Edited by herrkjeldsen - April 13, 2021 11:01:20

Attachments:
parenting_is_hard_with_unity.hiplc (226.6 KB)
hindie.steam_ncClf7U6Yz.png (28.7 KB)
Unity_o6ysX5Qpdv.png (7.1 KB)

100 posts
Hi, reading this again, I realize that this is intended - We split geometry into different parts depending on your HDA. You can attempt to control this by using the deprecated "Split Geos By Groups".
  • Quick Links